What kind of Mac should I buy

I

iMore Question

My son is going into university and wants a Macbook for his grad present. I have no idea what to buy. Recommendations please

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
If portability is his main concern, I'd go with a Macbook air. It's light, thin, and does most anything a person would want (expect graphic intense games)

I however just sold my MacBook air for a retina MacBook pro and couldn't be happier. It's not much heavier and the screen is amazing. You lose the tapered edge that's on the Air but that's not a bid deal to me. Speed is impressive and I personally prefer the black bezel on the pro over the aluminum on the Air.

In closing you really can't go wrong but swing by an Apple store and ask lots of questions.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If portability is his main concern, I'd go with a Macbook air. It's light, thin, and does most anything a person would want (expect graphic intense games)

I however just sold my MacBook air for a retina MacBook pro and couldn't be happier. It's not much heavier and the screen is amazing. You lose the tapered edge that's on the Air but that's not a bid deal to me. Speed is impressive and I personally prefer the black bezel on the pro over the aluminum on the Air.

In closing you really can't go wrong but swing by an Apple store and ask lots of questions.

Plus the MacBook Air more than pulls its weight with battery life, especially for university students who need to keep a laptop running most of the day...

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yea the Air is a great choice! My point was you really don't want a 17 inch monstrosity! It does not fit well in a book bag.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
That should not be a problem, as Apple has not made a “17 inch monstrosity” since 2011.

I don't blame them! No one needs a laptop that big! Get a desktop! My recommendation would be the air, that would fit nicely in a book bag and has all the computing power a young student needs! And if you can afford it you can't go wrong with a MacBook Pro either! And make sure to use that link I gave you and follow the instructions as you can get a 200 dollar discount for an educational purchase!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't blame them! No one needs a laptop that big! Get a desktop! My recommendation would be the air, that would fit nicely in a book bag and has all the computing power a young student needs! And if you can afford it you can't go wrong with a MacBook Pro either! And make sure to use that link I gave you and follow the instructions as you can get a 200 dollar discount for an educational purchase!

Agreed. Do you remember the Apple commercial from years gone by for the MacBook (Pro?) that featured Bill Shoemaker and Wilt Chamberlain? Shoe was using his 17” laptop and Wilt had the 13” model.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

The Air series offers greater portability and industry leading battery life. Great in education and office environments. The Pro series offers greater performance and amazing screen resolution. They are excellent as powerhouse media devices and for professionals, particularly those using OS X's professional music and video software.

I recommend the Air unless his field of study will require high-end professional software such as FinalCut Pro.

The 11.6" Air is more portable but the 13.3" Air offers a larger screen which many people prefer. Try finding out which he prefers on size.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend paying for additional RAM and a higher processor. This will ensure the laptop remains a top machine throughout his college career. Many Mac users continue using their devices from 2009-2010 now, in part because Macs are supported very well by Apple with software updates. Storage is less of an issue because you can easily buy external storage to support the Air's on board memory.

Good luck with your purchase. MacBooks are amazing tools and certainly worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
My son is going into university and wants a Macbook for his grad present. I have no idea what to buy. Recommendations please

15" MBP with Retina for a student
It doesn't matter it being heavy or not, he was used to carry heavier books and note books to school before, and the MBP 15" is not that much heavy too.
I wouldn't buy a 13" MBP or buy a MBA for a student, because of the screen size which is important for students to have on a computer. The retina Option will be a great investment for several years to come too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2