Does it cost money to get the iOS beta?

Jas00555

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
So a friend of mine is talking a lot on twitter about how cool iOS 8 is. I asked him if he develops any apps and he said "no, I don't know how to do that". I was under the impression that you needed a developer account to get early access like that, and last time I checked, it costs $100 to be a developer, so..... Did my friend really just spend a month's worth of gas money on a new software update?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
He got his UDID registered from another website for about $7 or he got a dev account. You don't really have to know how to develop apps in order to have a dev account.

Jas00555

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
He got his UDID registered from another website for about $7 or he got a dev account. You don't really have to know how to develop apps in order to have a dev account.

Oh, I get that. I have a developer account from Microsoft for my Windows Phone and I've never made an app that wasn't a simple, 10-minute RSS reader. Still, it's possible to be enrolled in the "preview" without spending a dime on Windows Phone, but I thought that you needed to buy a $100 developer account to get it.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I get that. I have a developer account from Microsoft for my Windows Phone and I've never made an app that wasn't a simple, 10-minute RSS reader. Still, it's possible to be enrolled in the "preview" without spending a dime on Windows Phone, but I thought that you needed to buy a $100 developer account to get it.

Those people that register the UDID for you have a dev account, and they sell you one of the slots on their account. They're making a profit since they can register 100 new UDID's per year.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Those people that register the UDID for you have a dev account, and they sell you one of the slots on their account. They're making a profit since they can register 100 new UDID's per year.

And get their Developer account closed/cancelled by Apple if they get caught. Plus they are making the betas available to many who have no business running them, as well as the gear heads who just want to play. The real issue comes when they get in over their head, fear they’ve bricked their device and come here in their panicked state asking for help. Or they go to the App store and start trashing all the apps that aren’t yet compatible with a beta release.

Lots of “downside”, very little “upside”, if you ask me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods