MacBook Air or MacBook Pro (No Retina)

anon(5519613)

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey there,

I am an university student that uses a lot of editing software like Photoshop, Final Cut... And the Mac computers that are closer to my budget are the 2013 MacBook Air 13'' and the Non Retina Macbook Pro 13'', so I want to know which would be a better option in terms of performance and such.
I already know about the Air being more portable and having not such good resolution screen (which isn't a big deal for me because it doesn't look ugly to my eyes).

Thanks in advance :)

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I already know about the Air being more portable and having not such good resolution screen (which isn't a big deal for me because it doesn't look ugly to my eyes).

The Pro's screen actually is inferior to the air's in regard of resolution. 1280x800 is just too little real estate IMO.

Go for the Air!
Can't recommend you a spinning hard drive. Get 8GB of RAM in the air and it should last you long time.

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Right. Didn't understand where you were going :)

Since the OP mentions portability of the air, I don't know it the 15" cmbp would suit his needs.

anon(5519613)

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Go for the non retina MBP. Because even if you can only afford a base configuration now, it has user-upgradeable RAM and hard drive. Apply your current budget to getting as much RAM as possible. If that is maxed out and you still have budget available, upgrade the hard drive to an SSD. But you can upgrade the RAM and change to an SSD later if necessary. They are both easy to install on the non retina MBP.

Hi, thanks for replying :)
You suggest a change to SSD on a MacBook Pro, but doesn't the air come with it already? And also, on terms of performance, let's say with both having 4GB of RAM, which stands up?

Posted via iMore App

anon(5519613)

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Right. Didn't understand where you were going :)

Since the OP mentions portability of the air, I don't know it the 15" cmbp would suit his needs.

Thanks for your reply!
Interesting to see that you prefer the Air!
Yes, 15'' would be a bit bigger than what I need and if the 13'' is kind of heavy I can't imagine the 15'' one.
Would you recommend refurbished Airs? :)

Posted via iMore App

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!
Interesting to see that you prefer the Air!
Yes, 15'' would be a bit bigger than what I need and if the 13'' is kind of heavy I can't imagine the 15'' one.
Would you recommend refurbished Airs? :)

Posted via iMore App

Sure.
Never bought one myself but I only hear good things about it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4