Question regarding apps that only require iOS 4.3... e.g. Southwest

Dustin Haley

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Southwest's app only requires iOS 4.3, and I was curious if this means that as such they are unable to take advantage of all the advancements that have come along since that was released...?

It seems as if their app is just a port from their mobile website, both of which are pretty slow, terribly designed, and just over all subpar. I wanted to write a good review, so open to info to include in that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're referring to the Southwest Airline app, it states that it requires iOS 4.3 or later.

From Skitch.png

Dustin Haley

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

I know it only requires iOS 4.3... Let me try and rephrase my question.

Since they only require iOS 4.3, can the app take advantage of APIs and such that have come out since 4.3 was released?

Or put another way, with the current 4.3 requirement, can the app still implement passbook and other advancements in iOS 5,6, and 7...? If of course the users have their phones updated to new versions of iOS.

I just feel that having such low requirements is limiting what they could do with their app, but wasn't sure if I was correct in my thinking.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It was updated May 20, 2014. So it's up to date and is optimized for iPhone 5 sized screen. I think it's good to go. As far as the site itself being slow, that's a different issue. Just because it's still good for 4.3 doesn't mean it's not good for 7.1.1.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2