Convince me why you think iOS is better than Windows Phone?

I

iMore Question

With Windows Phone, i can make my start screen really unique and pin my favourite apps and websites for easy access. I can also make the tiles transparent to show a parralax background. Even though it has less apps that iOS, everything I need is available in the 250000+ selection of apps currently available. I find the UI clean and fresh, and it also seems to me like iOS7 stole Windows Phone's flat design sense.

I would love to know your opinions on why iOS is better than Windows Phone 8.1
p.s. I am asking this as a Windows fanboy, really because I want to know your opinions. Sorry if this comes across as biased

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I use both, I really like WP quite a bit. 8.1 is a great update, and it works really well.

A larger screen and iOS 8 could be a nice combo. Can't go wrong either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
First off, apps. iOS beats Windows Phone hands down in that department. Some of the apps that are missing on Windows Phone can be really indispensible, but you can't lament the fact simply because so many less users are on Windows Phone compared to the much higher volume iOS users.

Secondly, the software of Windows Phone, inclusive of the interface and the keyboard and pretty much everything software-wise has never been as polished as iOS, which is why I think Windows Phone is still a niche novelty. People get into Windows Phone need to know they are buying into a platform that's still really young in the scheme of things, especially given Microsoft's typical slow pace.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
For me it was the apps. I tried the icon for a few weeks but the lack of apps I used for work just did me in. Also the keyboard in my opinion was really bad compared to apple.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
To add to what Speedygi said: ACCESSORIES!

iPhone has hands down the best Accessory support then any other platform out there. From cases that have built in stun guns or shot pourers to camera lenses. It's crazy what kind of accessories you can find for the iPhone.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You already said you were asking because you are a Windows Phone fanboy and nothing wrong with that.
You named what you like and what it can do. I would not even try and convince you.
I love the CS Apple provides and would not ask you to convince me but thank you and please feel free to stop here anytime the time motivates you.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You already said you were asking because you are a Windows Phone fanboy and nothing wrong with that.
You named what you like and what it can do. I would not even try and convince you.
I love the CS Apple provides and would not ask you to convince me but thank you and please feel free to stop here anytime the time motivates you.

You took the words out of my mouth.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
To add to what Speedygi said: ACCESSORIES!

iPhone has hands down the best Accessory support then any other platform out there. From cases that have built in stun guns or shot pourers to camera lenses. It's crazy what kind of accessories you can find for the iPhone.

This is so true, I was searching for a case for my new white Lumia 1020 yesterday and I struggled to find any, and those I found were really plain looking. Sigh, I guess I just have to look on WPCentral...

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've not spent much time with Windows Phone but I can say that I have owned and used both Android and IOS devices extensively.

For me, the best thing about iOS is the rock solid stability it has; it far and away outstrips Android in that regard.

I had a Nokia Lumia for about a month and whilst the phone had great build quality, I just felt that the operating system wasn't as fully featured as Android and not as robust as iOS. I realise that this is just my perception but these things are important, right? After all, it is me that will have to live with and use a device, so my feelings towards one particular OS over another are important.

I honestly believe that if you feel that one OS/device gives you the experience you desire and the functions you need that go with that and let everyone else worry about themselves.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Hardware, and the quality of it, that is if you actually take good care of your devices. If you don't, I advise you to not buy any smartphone. Anyway, you can also "Pin" sites to your iPhone home screen as well, and the while the parallax wallpapers are neat, you are not making the tiles transparent, just giving them a wallpaper. Finally, iOS 7.1 looks pretty nice once you get over the icon designs. I especially like the small little touches that add to the experience, like certain transparent design elements, and the volume overlay, and apps moving slightly with the device's position. Trust me on these points. I use an iPhone 5c, Lumia 822 with the dev preview 8.1, and an HP Pre 3. If you still haven't decided by the end of my comment, I suggest you try webOS. It may be old, but we may see a reboot of webOS done by LG with the new Mochi design. Which would have given webOS an iOS 7 like design in 2011. Read here: The lost secrets of webOS | The Verge

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used a Windows Phone, so I can't begin to tell you how I think iOS is better. iOS works for my needs currently & when that changes, I'll change platforms. I'm no fanboy to any company, I just want what works for my lifestyle.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hardware, and the quality of it, that is if you actually take good care of your devices. If you don't, I advise you to not buy any smartphone. Anyway, you can also "Pin" sites to your iPhone home screen as well, and the while the parallax wallpapers are neat, you are not making the tiles transparent, just giving them a wallpaper. Finally, iOS 7.1 looks pretty nice once you get over the icon designs. I especially like the small little touches that add to the experience, like certain transparent design elements, and the volume overlay, and apps moving slightly with the device's position. Trust me on these points. I use an iPhone 5c, Lumia 822 with the dev preview 8.1, and an HP Pre 3. If you still haven't decided by the end of my comment, I suggest you try webOS. It may be old, but we may see a reboot of webOS done by LG with the new Mochi design. Which would have given webOS an iOS 7 like design in 2011. Read here: The lost secrets of webOS | The Verge

Why would someone choose a platform that might never see any actual hardware in the near future, I wonder?

nason54

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Nothing really makes any OS "better". It all depends on your personal preference.

I really couldn't have said it any better.

If you think windows is great and better than ios, then in your opinion it is true. Every one on earth has the gift of individuality and not be copies of each other. Meaning we have different tastes and preference.

Still, not to sound like I'm bashing you, I think what Microsoft did with windows phone, I give them mad props.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5, soon to be 6 later this year.