Convince me why you think iOS is better than Windows Phone?

petvas72

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
For me it's all about integration with all of my computing devices. I use OS X primarily, so my phone should integrate well with everything I have on OS X and need to access when I am using my phone.
The combination OS X, iPad and iPhone is for me the best. I tried using Android, but it doesn't integrate as well in my workflow, so that is why I choose to stay with iOS.
The ecosystem is just the best out there

Michael M Maslowski

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I personally object to discussions like this post, as it is a decision made entirely on your own personal concept of comfort, as well as rather intimate connection between yourself and the device.

I am a recent iPhone 5s -> Nokia Lumia 1520 switcher and I can attest that some of the arguments that you have raised are definitely valid. While The App Store on WP is a vast improvement compared to what it used to be in 2012 (I got my Lumia 800 at that time), it still lacks some cool and useful apps, and quite indispensable like Day One. That being said, some multi-platform apps that do exist suck big time on WP i.e., Path that is nowhere as polished and elegant as its iOS counterpart.

On the other hand, the photo UI of Nokia devices + PureView are notably better, and quite substantially better, respectively in photo and video recording. Those were the actual reasons that made me switch to WP.

While I have not tested the WP 8.1 iteration (waiting for the stable release), it looks fantastic and most definitely invalidates the feature gap. In addition, customization of the home screen in WP to me is very elegant and allows you to obtain the latest info and feeds without the need of opening specific apps. Naturally, Notifications in iOS is nice, but far from being as elegant and functional as WP live tiles; naturally, IMHO.

Overall, I feel that with releases like WP 8.1 MSFT has bright future ahead with their mobile services & products departments. Plus they have something that Apple does not have, that is their own search infrastructure that powers MSFT's Cortana; let's not forget that the latter is entirely customizable and plugs in nicely to devs' apps, something that Siri definitely lacks. I believe the last two factors give MSFT competitive advantage, no matter how you look at it.

Finally, MSFT's new CEO has made numerous pronouncements about ramping up the pace of WP development and seems to position his vision on cloud and mobile computing. In this context, WP 9 is believed to follow in approximately one year after WP 8.1 release. We'll believe it when we see it, I guess.

Take care.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I don't like the lists. I like the tile layout but I don't like the apps listing on the next page.

I'm a current user of an iPhone, BlackBerry 10, and an Android device. I had a Windows phone which I put 8.1 on. I just never could get used to the UI.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I've not spent much time with Windows Phone but I can say that I have owned and used both Android and IOS devices extensively.

For me, the best thing about iOS is the rock solid stability it has; it far and away outstrips Android in that regard.

I had a Nokia Lumia for about a month and whilst the phone had great build quality, I just felt that the operating system wasn't as fully featured as Android and not as robust as iOS. I realise that this is just my perception but these things are important, right? After all, it is me that will have to live with and use a device, so my feelings towards one particular OS over another are important.

I honestly believe that if you feel that one OS/device gives you the experience you desire and the functions you need that go with that and let everyone else worry about themselves.

I used to think that. But iOS 7 proved to be less that rock solid stable, and I just got a Moto X, and I have yet to experience any instabilities. I think those days are gone.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't like the lists. I like the tile layout but I don't like the apps listing on the next page.

I'm a current user of an iPhone, BlackBerry 10, and an Android device. I had a Windows phone which I put 8.1 on. I just never could get used to the UI.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

I'm creeping over the edge where I'm eventually getting used to the Metro UI, and I'm really getting a kick out of it. I like how the live tiles are organized and how they project information. With the notification bar in 8.1, I think my fears that there would be a lacking of a notification system would soon be gone.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
With Windows Phone, i can make my start screen really unique and pin my favourite apps and websites for easy access. I can also make the tiles transparent to show a parralax background. Even though it has less apps that iOS, everything I need is available in the 250000+ selection of apps currently available. I find the UI clean and fresh, and it also seems to me like iOS7 stole Windows Phone's flat design sense.

I would love to know your opinions on why iOS is better than Windows Phone 8.1
p.s. I am asking this as a Windows fanboy, really because I want to know your opinions. Sorry if this comes across as biased

I've been usinG Windows Mobile (or Pocket PC as it was earlier known) from 2004 until 2012.

Then, MS simply pulled the plug on it. Even as most users were still in the middle of their 2 year contracts, MS started killing off essential services like navigation. I repeat - this was not an old and long superseded OS like Windows XP. It was the OS that Microsoft's partners were still shipping with brand new phones just a year earlier. And MS just abandoned all users. Of course there were the warning signs - lack of developer support, lack of OS upgrades, they basically decided to kill the OS and start from scratch.

So, why would I ever want to go thought this experience again ? MS clearly showed that they can't be relied upon, and that they can turn the switch off on you at a whim. It would take a lot on effort on their part to win me back.

Another thing is the hardware quality and the overall user experience. Before getting an iPad I was using Android, and the common thing between MS and A is that they tend to slow down with time. With time, a previously fast phone gets slower and jerkier and eventually you have to factory reset. The hardware quality is also a lottery. With iPad, the OS is smooth and the hardware so far lasts - my wife's iPad 3 Retina is still like new despite being used daily for a couple years, while all of our Android tablets have been problematic in one way or other. MS doesn't have this kind of proven hardware reliability, and their tablets are anything but cheap, I'd rather spend the money on something that I expect to last.

I am fully aware of the limitations of Apple OS, and learned to work around them.

Berry_Pink

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
This is so true, I was searching for a case for my new white Lumia 1020 yesterday and I struggled to find any, and those I found were really plain looking. Sigh, I guess I just have to look on WPCentral...

Sorry to be off topic but try eBay :) there's a bunch of really elegant wooden ones, funny head case ones and a gazillion other cases for it, I had the same problem finding a case offline for my mums 925 all the shops had gorgeous iphone and Samsung cases but plain or ugly thick vertical flip cases for the 925

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to be off topic but try eBay :) there's a bunch of really elegant wooden ones, funny head case ones and a gazillion other cases for it, I had the same problem finding a case offline for my mums 925 all the shops had gorgeous iphone and Samsung cases but plain or ugly thick vertical flip cases for the 925
Thank you for the suggestion. I already got an Amzer TPU case. It works wonders.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
WP 8.1 is really cool. Great upgrade.

The home screen is definitely more dynamic than iOS, but it does seem like the apps are more fully baked than WP.

The list of apps alphabetically is great and makes it a lot faster to find an app. You really can't go wrong with either OS.

I do think WP may have more room to grow giving it more potential. I think iOS has gotten to the point where it may have peaked (NOT PHONE SALES, just the OS itself) and while possible, it is going to be a lot harder to bring that WOW! factor back to Apple.

A bigger screen phone will definitely help. Apple just needs to know that the other two dogs on the porch are in it for the long haul and it would be a good idea to not get stagnant.

Ultimately all three OS' getting better and constantly pushing each other to evolve will be great for consumers giving them more choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2