Good morning,

With my MBA I have a 2tb USB HD from WD where I store my time machine and my girlfriends win7 backups and data/media.

I made two partitions:
    - 1TB "backup" in hfs+ for time machine
    - 1TB in exfat for windows compatibility and being able to store larger files than 4GB.

Turns out I should have chosen the time machine partition much smaller. My MBA has 128GB, so 250GB should have been enough for my needs.

I'm now ending up in a mess where media (a lot of HD shows and movies) is stored on both partitions and both only have around 50GB of unused space left.

Is it possible to repartition anything of my setup without losing data? I have two smaller external drives, 500 and 160GB that could be used as temporary storage. Do you guys have any idea?

Could I repartition one partition without affecting the other one? For example: storing the backup partition on my other external drives, making it smaller, relocate some of the backup/media files on it, saving the stuff from the exfat data/media partition and make that partition bigger with the storage I gained from before?
    (God, I hope someone understands me)

Kind of want a synology NAS since months that would solve my problems but cannot spend the cash for it right now.

Looking forward to your responses!!
    Thanks
    05-15-2014 02:22 AM
    Hang in there and thank you for being patient. Someone will be by shortly to help you with your problem. Again thanks again.
    05-15-2014 09:26 AM
    Hang in there and thank you for being patient. Someone will be by shortly to help you with your problem. Again thanks again.
    I don't seem to understand...
    05-15-2014 01:03 PM
    I do t think you can repartition that drive. It is too full to do so without moving a lot of the data off.
    Last edited by Karenkcoulter; 05-15-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
    05-15-2014 06:00 PM
    Well I understand there are many more qualified forums for theses delicate questions

I don't mind if you feel comfortable posting these detailed questions here on iMore but please don't Charisse anyone for not being able to answer your question

That said I enjoy your posts and really like your Avatar so keep them coming my friend
    05-15-2014 06:13 PM
    Good morning,

With my MBA I have a 2tb USB HD from WD where I store my time machine and my girlfriends win7 backups and data/media.

I made two partitions:
    - 1TB "backup" in hfs+ for time machine
    - 1TB in exfat for windows compatibility and being able to store larger files than 4GB.

Turns out I should have chosen the time machine partition much smaller. My MBA has 128GB, so 250GB should have been enough for my needs.

I'm now ending up in a mess where media (a lot of HD shows and movies) is stored on both partitions and both only have around 50GB of unused space left.

Is it possible to repartition anything of my setup without losing data? I have two smaller external drives, 500 and 160GB that could be used as temporary storage. Do you guys have any idea?

Could I repartition one partition without affecting the other one? For example: storing the backup partition on my other external drives, making it smaller, relocate some of the backup/media files on it, saving the stuff from the exfat data/media partition and make that partition bigger with the storage I gained from before?
    (God, I hope someone understands me)

Kind of want a synology NAS since months that would solve my problems but cannot spend the cash for it right now.

Looking forward to your responses!!
    Thanks
    Hello! Let's see if I can help you out. I don't really understand your question, but I should be able to provide some useful information. You can't repartition anything without losing your data. You can move around that free 50 GB of space, but you can't touch anything that has data on it. You'll need to move your files to other external drives to repartition everything. I hope this helps! 😄
    Last edited by DroidArmy; 05-15-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    kataran likes this.
    05-15-2014 06:52 PM
    I was simply letting you know that I was not qualified to help you and did not want you to feel ignored.
    I was actually hoping Karen would come by and did along with a few others that did not. You received an answer from Karen who is knowledgeable on these things and am sorry no one else stepped up. Maybe they still will.
    Do you now understand what I was trying to do to help you? Once again thank you for continuing to wait for the answer I hope you get that you are looking for.
    kataran likes this.
    05-15-2014 06:55 PM
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound offensive or something, I just couldn't understand where you were going with your first post. Thank you!

I'm aware that I can't change anything as long as the data is on there. But if I could move it somewhere from partition 1, could I repartition and shrink partition 1 and add the gained storage to partition 2 without touching its data?

Hope it is clearer now.

Thank you all.
    05-16-2014 03:31 AM
    ...could I repartition and shrink partition 1 and add the gained storage to partition 2 without touching its data?
    Thank you all.
    ... or with touching its data and saving it somewhere else - wherever that is because I don't have 900GB in any of my other drives...
    05-16-2014 03:52 AM
    If you move some of the data off the drive you should be able to move the partitions and change their sizes. I'd still be wary of doing that though if you don't have a backup of the data remaining on the drive. Just in case something went wrong.
    05-16-2014 06:53 AM
    Ok, so technically it could work? Most of the big data is replaceable, tv shows and movies for that matter.
    The important personal files could be saved as a backup somewhere else... I figure it out if i find the time to and tell if it worked.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by koerk; 05-16-2014 at 08:08 AM.
    05-16-2014 07:21 AM
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound offensive or something, I just couldn't understand where you were going with your first post. Thank you!

I'm aware that I can't change anything as long as the data is on there. But if I could move it somewhere from partition 1, could I repartition and shrink partition 1 and add the gained storage to partition 2 without touching its data?

Hope it is clearer now.

Thank you all.
    I never took it any other way, All I did was make an attempt to answer your question, No harm done.
    05-16-2014 01:06 PM
    Good
    05-16-2014 05:08 PM