How is my itunes account used to track my iphone?

chrissyjo12

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I am not 100% sure, but my daughter and I are using the same itunes account and I think our locations have gotten mixed up because of it. (Someone tracking me said I was in a certain location that I'm sure I wasn't and I'd like to clear it up!)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You can give your own phone another name in settings

Setting -> General -> About and then you have to press the uppermost field where it says iPhone or something

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am not 100% sure, but my daughter and I are using the same itunes account and I think our locations have gotten mixed up because of it. (Someone tracking me said I was in a certain location that I'm sure I wasn't and I'd like to clear it up!)

If you have an iCloud account and that someone knows the Apple ID and password for that account, they can locate you via the Find My iPhone app on their device or by logging in to iCloud via a computer and enter in your credentials. You can go to Settings - Privacy - Locations Services and see all the apps that have access in regard to location services. Disable any that you do not want to track your location.

chrissyjo12

May 12, 2014
Visit site
So, since we have the same itunes account, if I turn off my location services, could this person have been tracking my daughter's phone because hers was still on?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So, since we have the same itunes account, if I turn off my location services, could this person have been tracking my daughter's phone because hers was still on?

It's possible, but also fixable. Change the password on the account. Anyway, a lot of people who share Apple IDs do the following to keep track of certain things while maintaining privacy for others. Personally, I recommend that you share an Apple ID for "purchases" only. In other words, you both sign in to the iTunes/App Store using the same Apple ID and password. By doing so, you will be able to keep track of ALL downloads and purchases. Create separate IDs for iCloud. By doing so, your email, text messages, FaceTime calls, etc., will not be visible on hers and vice-versa. Yet, I recommend that you both keep the "enable" location services, especially in regard to Find My iPhone so that if it is lost or stolen, you have a good chance of tracking it down. If you or your daughter have the Find my Friends app installed, it is possible that a friend could be telling a non-friend your or your daughter's location. Personally, I'm not a fan of letting friends know my every move, but that's Just Me, D. Anyway, I highly recommend you at least change the password on your account, if you opt not to do anything else mentioned. That will at least prevent someone from tracking you unless he or she knows your password. Take care...:)

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

The iTunes Store can't track you. iCloud *could* but the person would need to get your permission in the Find My Friends app. It's possible that the GPS could be wrong, and your friend could just be mistaken. GPS isn't 100%, even less so when you're inside something.

chrissyjo12

May 12, 2014
Visit site
That helps too. I didn't give permission, but my friend apparently knows someone who knows how to track people through their phone. I am just trying to figure out how the information is acquired since the info about MY location was wrong and seems to match my daughter's whereabouts at times. Since she and I have the same itunes account, I thought that was perhaps it...just trying to get to the bottom of this. Any other info would be much appreciated and thanks again.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
That helps too. I didn't give permission, but my friend apparently knows someone who knows how to track people through their phone. I am just trying to figure out how the information is acquired since the info about MY location was wrong and seems to match my daughter's whereabouts at times. Since she and I have the same itunes account, I thought that was perhaps it...just trying to get to the bottom of this. Any other info would be much appreciated and thanks again.

There really isn't any way said person was tracking you. What I think happened is s/he was messing with you. They got your location wrong anyways. They can't track you through your iPhone unless they're on your phone plan, added the family tracker, and put you on it without telling you.

chrissyjo12

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I wish I knew the boss, because then I would! If I can't figure out how it happened, then I will probably have to loose the friendship due to mistrust...pretty sad. Thanks for continuing to assist!! : D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711