Hello,

I bought an iPad mini via EE (UK network) and used the SIM which came with it. So I know this is locked to EE now.

I am going abroad and would like to use a local SIM with a data plan on it.

Does the r-sim unlock iPads? Is there any other way to do this without paying loads of money to a phone shop to unlock privately? I have not been on contract for 6 months yet so EE cannot/will not unlock the iPad for me. I mentioned I was due to fly on 28th May but they said I have to be on contract for 6 months prior to unlocking. :-(

Please help....
    05-07-2014 06:58 AM
    Apple - iPad - View countries with supported LTE networks.

Note #2 ...

1. iPad may also be supported on other carrier LTE networks. Data roaming depends on supported bands and carrier policies. LTE roaming may not be available. Contact your carrier for more details.

2. To identify your iPad model number, see Identifying iPad models. iPad models are unlocked and may support LTE networks outside the country of purchase when using a valid SIM from a supported carrier. Contact your carrier for more details.

3. LTE band support is based on the iPad model number and configuration for either CDMA or GSM networks. Band support does not guarantee support on all LTE networks running on the same bands.

4. iPad supports a subset of Band 26. In the United States, this provides support for the Sprint LTE network. Contact your carrier for more details.
    05-07-2014 08:06 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I am travelling to Trinidad and Tobago. Didn't see them on the list.

EE have a roaming bundle I could purchase when I am in T & T once I arrive there. I guess that is my only option besides unlocking privately.

I will have WiFi where I am staying but when out & about I'd like to be able to use cellular wherever I am.
    05-07-2014 08:17 AM
    You shouldn't have to unlock... just acquire a prepaid SIM from a provider in T&T and install the SIM and go...
    05-07-2014 09:36 AM
    You shouldn't have to unlock... just acquire a prepaid SIM from a provider in T&T and install the SIM and go...

Yup what he said.

Cellular aspect of iPads aren't locked so no need to unlock.

Prepaid sims/plans are very cheap in TnT from either Digicel or Bmobile. There's usually an airport special from Digicel at their booth in the airport. not sure which sim your iPad takes buy it may be an issue to find a store with nano sims in stock so you may have to get a micro-sim and use one of those sim cutters.

Last time I checked, no TnT carrier had LTE yet so that's why it may not be on that list. They do have 3G/4G so you should be fine.

Also, you may have an issue of apn settings or something like that but usually it just works when you pop in the sim. In the off chance it doesn't work you can easily google their apn settings.
    05-07-2014 10:56 PM
    Thank you so much for answering
    05-08-2014 05:56 AM
    Yup what he said.

Cellular aspect of iPads aren't locked so no need to unlock.

Prepaid sims/plans are very cheap in TnT from either Digicel or Bmobile. There's usually an airport special from Digicel at their booth in the airport. not sure which sim your iPad takes buy it may be an issue to find a store with nano sims in stock so you may have to get a micro-sim and use one of those sim cutters.

Last time I checked, no TnT carrier had LTE yet so that's why it may not be on that list. They do have 3G/4G so you should be fine.

Also, you may have an issue of apn settings or something like that but usually it just works when you pop in the sim. In the off chance it doesn't work you can easily google their apn settings.
    Hiya,

Very useful information. I frequently fly there and I have the first iPad mini model which I purchased from a supplier not via a phone store. It worked fine when my husband purchased a Digicel nano-sim.

I just assumed that similar to phones, the cellular iPads purchased through a phone company would be locked to whichever SIM was first used in it (in my case, an EE (Orange) data SIM.

I am pretty sure it might be ok but nonetheless, after telling me that my iPad couldn't be unlocked due to my contract being less than 6 months, I received a network email from them this morning with unlock instructions:-

Before attempting the procedure, please take a moment to read the following information.Please make sure that your iphone is up to date the latest software version. This can be checked by connecting your device to iTunes via a PC/Mac/Laptop.

Please be aware that if you have used an unauthorised unlock on your Apple device then Orange cannot be held responsible for any errors that may occur, as this procedure will not only be unsuccessful, it may damage the device. If you have modified the software please update with the latest Apple approved version.

Apple devices differ from all other manufacturers in that there is no code required to enter into your device to unlock it. However Orange have requested on your behalf to Apple that your device be prepared for unlock and the procedure below advises how you can complete this process. Onlyhandset’s that have been requested to be unlocked via Orange or other networks can be unlocked this way and the below instruction will not work onother Apple devices.

Apple Unlock Procedure

1)Insert a non-Orange 3G SIM card. This must be a network provider who also supplies the iphone/ipad.
    2)Switch ON the handset.
    3)Connect to iTunes using USB cable
    4)Use the “restore” option within iTunes (located at the bottom of iTunes not the top)
    5)The handset may then display: USB cable and iTunes icon.
    6)Disconnect from USB then re-connect
    7)Synchronise device with iTunes
    8)Once synchronised a message will appear on iTunes stating “Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked” If using IOS5 this message will not show
    9)Follow on screen set up instructions to enable new carrier settings

Your handset should now be successfully unlocked

Should this not show, please keep other network 3G sim in the iphone and restore the iphone via iTunes making sure all data is backed up first.
    You can also get some self help tips, please put the following into Google and search; support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

Hopefully that will be of use to others wishing to unlock their iPads.

Thanks again for the help
    05-08-2014 06:01 AM