On my new iMac running Mavericks, I cannot get text replacement to work. For example I might use @@ (which is not likely to be a normal set of key strokes) and have the replacement text insert my email address. On my iPad this works. I get the replacement text and a cross. If I press space the replacement text gets inserted.

I can set the keys and replacement texts up on the iMac (Preferences/Keyboard/Text) but when it comes to using this facility in any app, nothing happens. I have searched and searched for a solution without success. Please. What am I doing wrong. Have I inadvertently set some switch that ignores this facility?
    05-07-2014 06:40 AM
    Make sure "Text Replacement" menu under Edit>Substitutions>Text Replacement is checked?
    05-07-2014 11:02 AM
    Thank you John. The problem I have is that most of the apps either have NO option for Substitutions or, if they do, the options under Substitutions are greyed out. A good example is Pages which I would have thought was the first place to try and use replacement text.
    05-07-2014 11:43 AM