Is anyone else having problems with email taking ups lot of storage space?

I

iMore Question

i have an iPhone 4s and the Mail App is taking up 2.4 GB of space. I could delete all my mail and it would only go down a small fraction. Does anybody else have this problem?
Right now i can't even do my upgrade cause not enough memory.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Most Likely your device needs to be restored as new via iTunes

Recommend you do an iCloud backup and then connect it to your computer and when prompted restore it as new this will install the updated OS 7.1.1 and then load your backup and you will reclaim your lost storage

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
memory

You can always upgrade via iTunes. That's even more convenient than OTA.

As for your mail space problems, if it's a pop3 account, or if you have copies of your mails on the mail servers , you could delete the account(s) from settings and re-add them back. That should do the trick.

Keep us in touch

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Most Likely your device needs to be restored as new via iTunes

Recommend you do an iCloud backup and then connect it to your computer and when prompted restore it as new this will install the updated OS 7.1.1 and then load your backup and you will reclaim your lost storage
This is really the best way to do it because I am willing to bet you have a lot useless GBs of "OTHER" and by doing this it will get rid of all that and restore back memory. If you have a lot of documents and messages with pics that is all Other as well as mail. The other advice will work too but this way you have a clean phone with a new IOS.

Last edited:

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes i'm willing to bet that the 'other' data file on your device is huge. This can happen when a sync fails or is interrupted for any reason.

A backup/restore to factory should fix it I think. Drastic but generally the best way of fixing this issue.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
i have an iPhone 4s and the Mail App is taking up 2.4 GB of space. I could delete all my mail and it would only go down a small fraction. Does anybody else have this problem?
Right now i can't even do my upgrade cause not enough memory.

Depending on your email service (Outlook.com, for example), you can choose to limit the amount of email that gets synced to your device.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I actually for the first time this week was given a good explanation of "Other" which takes up memory and after what i already mentioned if you have a long string of iMessage with people with lots of pics and so forth as one example that will just suck up memory and documents.. That is why I mentioned Dropbox in a post I placed in another forum about 3rd party apps because people just don't realize how much you can store to dropbox and not on your device but have it when you need it freeing up space. Actually it is a good idea to to a clean install once every so often when you see 'Other" climb to clean it up and watch how much goes away after you do a clean install and then use your backup and see how much you gained in device memory.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711