Iphone 5 or 5c?

I

iMore Question

Hello, I'm looking to purchase my first iphone after being an android user.
It would need to be factory unlocked so I'm buying one in a used condition secondhand given my price range.

The iphone 5 has lower listed prices than the iphone 5c and is available in 64 gb which is convenient given
that my 32 gb sd card is nearly full on my android phone.

I have a coworker who suggested that I get the iphone 5c because apple's latest software updates can sometimes
have poorer performance on older models and the iphone 5 is a year older than the 5c.

However as I looked up reviews on both devices, there seems to be little difference between them in regards to
hardware so I'm not sure how accurate that would be.

With the iphone 6/ios 8 releasing this year, would I be better off in purchasing an iphone 5c or would the iphone 5
still be a good choice for at least another 1-2 years?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't really buy the myth that software would run poorer on older models even if the specs are exactly the same as another. However, I would recommend the 5c just because it looks good, and the smooth polycarbonate back makes for a good feel as well.

That is, if you don't mind waiting a good few more months for possibly bigger C series phones, who knows ...

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would get the new phone for the simple reason in the long run I think you would be happier with the latest there is in phone and software. My personal opinion.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
If you can get the i5 in 64GB cheaper than the i5c that would be the deal and like you said the difference is minor

5c has a better front facing camera and more wifi frequencies but the i5 has a more quality build in my opinion

Ultimately your the one that has to make the decision

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use the 5. It's great and runs smooth and fast. I've had it since August. My wife has a new 5c. It's also great and is fast and smooth. Either is a good phone and works well on iOS 7.1. So it comes down to your other needs like gb space.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If you can get the i5 in 64GB cheaper than the i5c that would be the deal and like you said the difference is minor

5c has a better front facing camera and more wifi frequencies but the i5 has a more quality build in my opinion

Ultimately your the one that has to make the decision

I agree with this completely.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am quick to recommend that you get the latest and greatest available according to your financial status. Having said that, I recommend the iPhone 5C, but as has already been stated, if you can swing a 64 GB iPhone 5 for around what you'll be paying for a 16 GB iPhone 5C, get the 5 with the larger capacity.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The 5C has more LTE Bands than the 5 and its basically the same interiors. I'd say to get the 5 since it has more memory.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I would get the new phone for the simple reason in the long run I think you would be happier with the latest there is in phone and software. My personal opinion.

He is comparing the 5 and the 5c, the difference in hardware in almost negligible and the latest in software is available to both devices. I had the choice between a 64GB 5 and 165C last year, and I went for the 5. Why? The front camera improvement was a non issue for me as were the increase in bands.

So considering that I had a choice between two basically exact phones, the choice came down the price per GB storage and build. I prefered the 5. Personally I find the 5C very nice to hold, but I don?t like the plastic look.

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Right, the 5c is not an upgrade over the 5.

Go for the 5 with more GB if you do not prefer the looks of the 5C over the 5. Simple!

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Hasn't everyone else gave their input? I would be repeating myself.....

Well you won't be repeating yourself per say as you haven't said anything. You would explaining your reasoning which may or may not concur with what other posters wrote.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Popnbake

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I'm the OP who asked the question for this thread.

I recently got the 5C and so far it's been great using the device as my first iphone.

Thank you for the replies in helping me with my decision.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I recently got the 5C and so far it's been great using the device as my first iphone.

Well, what color did you get? That's the main thing with the 5c. :D

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Yay! Welcome to the 5c club!

I've got a blue one myself. It's my very first iPhone and I positively love it.

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73