Google search iOS app help

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Very new to the forums but been an iOS user for many years and have found some really useful and interesting stuff here so hoping someone may be able to help me with an issue I'm having with google search.

I'm relatively new to the majority of google services and really like the google search app. I've downloaded it to my iPad and both iPhones (5c and old trusty 4s). On the iPad and 4s there's a reminders feature within the app that's missing on the 5c, how do I get this back?

I'm pretty sure the issue is localised to my 5c as I installed it to the 4s after, as a sort of test, and it popped up there so I'm confident I haven't disabled a setting inside my google account.

I've checked all phone settings, as in location services and notifications are on and also deleted and reinstalled the app a few times with no joy. I can't be sure if I selected to allow push notifications on the original install but it hasn't asked again on subsequent installations.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help, it's a feature I can live without tbh, more an annoying niggle I'd love to resolve.

I should also mention, I'm on iOS 7.0.6 and haven't tried a full restore as I'm jailbroken and am avoiding 7.1 for obvious reasons

Sent from a deeply fragmented though process using Tapatalk

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
rajyrasy.jpg

As you can see, reminders tab which usually sits directly under google now is missing

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I've heard of this problem before, but I've never seen a solution. Google search shows quite a few people with the same problem. If I had to guess, I'd think there's a dependency of some sort missing. Whether it's a gps location or some obscure permission in iOS, I'm really not sure.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Also if you are missing the pop up notification you indicate about do you want push Notifications, Just go to the Notifications center and see if the Google app is there and what you have turned on.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks for responding. I'm sure it's some kind of iOS based permission setting but can't locate one anywhere. I also can't find a way to clear any kind of stored app cache data before deleting.

Jaguarr, that's the first thing I tried but no joy. I've ensured that it's in notification centre, background refresh is on and location services are on.

Is there anywhere which allows me to set push notification on or off for individual apps?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
A few places...Some apps like Tapatalk in the settings will let you toggle on and off Push Notifications and others ask you on install. Of course there is always each app in your notification center to see what you have toggled on and off and most apps like Google are location based which requires you to have location services on so try those and see what happens. To clear app cache data once you delete the app just reboot your phone to the Apple logo before a re install of an app.

One other thing, Make sure these apps are totally closed out also before you do any of this by sliding them up and closed. A question? Are you JB on this phone and what OS are you running?

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
One other thing, Make sure these apps are totally closed out also before you do any of this by sliding them up and closed. A question? Are you JB on this phone and what OS are you running?

Hi Jaguarr, thanks again for helping out. I've tried closing apps and deleting and reinstalling, but never tried rebooting between deleting and installing so will give that a try next.

Yes, I am jailbroken and running on 7.0.6. To be honest, I'm now considering updating to 7.1. Long gone are the days where jail breaking is as exciting and beneficial (to me obviously, I'm sure others may benefit more depending on their needs). iOS 6 and 7 have given me pretty much all I need from my mobile device feature wise and all else is just a novelty, which has lost it's shine pretty quick. I'm also not a big fan of pirating/stealing media or apps so there's no real JB benefit to me there either.

Now, to try your recommended method of deleting, rebooting and installing. Will check back in a bit to let you know how it went.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, didn't work. It's as if something iOS based is stopping the app from asking permission to send push notifications. Was worth a go though. Thanks

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks Jaguarr.

I was saying that by deleting the google search app, rebooting phone and then reinstalling didn't work in respect of forcing the app to ask permission to send push notifications. Reminders are still missing.

I'm happy to restore and upgrade to 7.1, and good advice regarding setting up as new opposed to restoring from back up, I probably wouldn't have thought of that and been back to square one again!

Do you know though, if I restore and set up as a new phone, is there anyway of getting previous text messages back to the handset?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2