Why no simple radio app on iPhone like on iPods

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I've often wondered why Apple doesn't include the same, simple radio app found on iPods on the iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
That's a good question but I'm glad to have TuneIn Radio to handle that task

I have also used TuneIn but your forced to use data if not on WiFi with any of the currently available radio apps for iPhone.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have also used TuneIn but your forced to use data if not on WiFi with any of the currently available radio apps for iPhone.

I just installed Tunein today and found that out fast so if you are on a restricted data plan meaning anything but unlimited you can burn it fast...LOL

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I just installed Tunein today and found that out fast so if you are on a restricted data plan meaning anything but unlimited you can burn it fast...LOL

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Also, I've learned with TuneIn and apps the like that games for my local MLB team are blacked out via web apps. I had to purchase a subscription via the MLB At Bat app to listen to the game. Another annoyance as I'm forced to pay to listen to something I could listen to for free with the native radio app 😟

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's what I'm saying. Also, I've learned with TuneIn and apps the like that games for my local MLB team are blacked out via web apps. I had to purchase a subscription via the MLB At Bat app to listen to the game. Another annoyance as I'm forced to pay to listen to something I could listen to for free with the native radio app 

That is why I posted a few weeks ago that all the Native apps we all put in a folder and hide on the last panel, Apple needs to look at these and a great Native radio app would be good. Tuenin is a great app but man with the cellular kills it unless you catch WI_FI you are done. I don't always have WI-FI at work where i would want to use it.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that Apple implemented it yet since there are Third Party apps that can handle this task.

Right but, unless I'm not aware of any, they all require you to use wifi/data. There are none that simply pick up stations over the air via radio signal.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Would it really be that substantial? Even the small iPods have the native radio app.

Knowing Apple. They won't do it, even if it doesn't add bulk. Those iPods have it because they are primarily used to listen to music. You should give Apple some feedback on this. :)

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Knowing Apple. They won't do it, even if it doesn't add bulk. Those iPods have it because they are primarily used to listen to music. You should give Apple some feedback on this. :)

I guess it can't hurt to give feedback. There's a link somewhere for that correct?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p

The iPod Nano has the radio app because it has an internal FM radio receiver. iPhones and iPads do not - thus no simple app... The reason none of the wifi or cellular data apps will typically offer professional or college sports is because of distribution rights... radio stations only have rights for over the air distribution... not internet... those rights are, as you've noticed - available via pay to play apps - follow the $$... Apple thus far has not done radio receivers is likely because of adding receivers would alter design considerations and battery life.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
The iPod Nano has the radio app because it has an internal FM radio receiver. iPhones and iPads do not - thus no simple app... None of the wifi or cellular data apps will typically offer professional or college sports is because of distribution rights... radio stations only have rights for over the air distribution... not internet... those rights are, as you've noticed - available via pay to play apps - follow the $$...

Right. Just seems like it would be very easy to include an FM radio receiver in iPhones also.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Right. Just seems like it would be very easy to include an FM radio receiver in iPhones also.
Apple thus far has not done radio receivers is likely because of adding receivers would alter design considerations and cause issues with battery life.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
That is why I posted a few weeks ago that all the Native apps we all put in a folder and hide on the last panel, Apple needs to look at these and a great Native radio app would be good. Tuenin is a great app but man with the cellular kills it unless you catch WI_FI you are done. I don't always have WI-FI at work where i would want to use it.

I used to use TuneIn almost everyday for about an hour while on cell data to listen to a talk show while I was on a 2GB plan. I think the stream rate was 96 or something and it didn't really give me that hard a data hit for cellular. Mostly just depends the stream rate that the channel streams at. I was really surprised that it wouldn't eat up my data as much.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711