Using Siri with Calendar App

I

iMore Question

Why does Siri give all day events, such as holidays, when asked "What appointments do I have for the week (or month)?" Turning off this setting does not appear to work.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't see any settings to turn off this you are talking about in SIRI. When you ask what is going on for a day it is going to give you all for that day.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that Siri cannot distinguish between what we consider an appointment and calendar events/entries. When I ask Siri the exact same thing you asked, I get a listing of every calendar entry for the time period.

laney92

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that is what happens. I tried to find a setting in the Calendar app to remove the holidays from showing up, but no luck. I "unchecked" U.S. Holidays, but apparently this setting doesn't correlate. For a person who is blind using Siri to access appointments, he/she would use VoiceOver screen reader to read the text and have to hear the holidays mixed in with the appointments. I'm not sure I understand this holiday setting in the Calendar app.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is what happens. I tried to find a setting in the Calendar app to remove the holidays from showing up, but no luck. I "unchecked" U.S. Holidays, but apparently this setting doesn't correlate. For a person who is blind using Siri to access appointments, he/she would use VoiceOver screen reader to read the text and have to hear the holidays mixed in with the appointments. I'm not sure I understand this holiday setting in the Calendar app.
In regard to the "Holidays" calendar that Apple incorporated in iOS 7.1, it's just a calendar add-on that displays holidays so that we won't have to manually insert them into our home or work calendars. The problem is that many members already had a Holidays calendar subscription.