SMS messaging to another phone from ios7

ptbahr

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Just curious: when I send an SMS message to another mobile number, does ios7 also send my name with it (as it might with imessage) or is it like any other phone that only the number is transmitted and whatever name the other user has set up as a contact will be displayed on their phone?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would have to say that no matter who sends who what as long as each person has all contact info, There should be no reason why it would not show up who is texting.

ptbahr

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. I assume this as well, but just wondered for certain. And what about if sending iMessage? and also with respect to iMessage I can force certain contacts to only be SMS even if they have an iphone as well, correct?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
iMessage does not send your name by default. The other person has to have you listed as a contact before it shows your name, rather than just the number.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes by turnnig off iMessage sending from one iPhone to another. iphone to a non iphone will only send SMS of course.

ptbahr

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
But what i'm asking is this: there are people I text who only know me through a web forum and have that web forum name on their phone as my contact info. I'd prefer to keep it that way and just want to ensure that ios7 wont send more than my number (in conjunction with what the other person's phone has as my contact info). Is that clearer?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
iMessage does not send your name by default. The other person has to have you listed as a contact before it shows your name, rather than just the number.

Sent from from my iPhone 5
I did say AS LONG as each other has complete contact info to clarify.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
But what i'm asking is this: there are people I text who only know me through a web forum and have that web forum name on their phone as my contact info. I'd prefer to keep it that way and just want to ensure that ios7 wont send more than my number (in conjunction with what the other person's phone has as my contact info). Is that clearer?
It will send them whatever name they have in their contacts for you like ptbahr. That is what I would get if you sent me an SMS or if you turned off iMessage and sent SMS. Even iMessage will send your forum name if that is the only thing I have is your forum name and number.

ptbahr

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It will send them whatever name they have in their contacts for you like ptbahr. That is what I would get if you sent me an SMS or if you turned off iMessage and sent SMS. Even iMessage will send your forum name if that is the only thing I have is your forum name and number.

OK Thank you. That clears up what I wanted to know. I assumed this was the case. But just checking. One last question if you dont mind? I've heard of iMessage sending your iCloud email info with iMessage instead of your mobile number and/or the contact information that other person has. True not true? Can this be avoided?

ptbahr

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all so much for your help and quick responses. Just shows how great a community Mobile Nations is. Thanks again. Cheers

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
OK Thank you. That clears up what I wanted to know. I assumed this was the case. But just checking. One last question if you dont mind? I've heard of iMessage sending your iCloud email info with iMessage instead of your mobile number and/or the contact information that other person has. True not true? Can this be avoided?
imessage ... a message system and iCloud email are 2 seperate things and send what you have them set up as and that's it. Have a good day.:)

Keep this on your computer.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2