Can a dev make an app that takes control when Add to Library or Drag n Drop is triggered in iTunes?

I

iMore Question

Do you know what would be really useful in iTunes? The ability to check if artist/album/tune already exists when adding to library. Could it be possible for a developer to make an app which gets control when Add to Library or Drag n Drop is triggered? Then test if the thing is already there and prompt the user if so.

For a large set of songs, such an app would be even nicer if it could have options, like Always Discard Existing/Discard Source, Newest/Oldest etc. If such an app is possible, I'm sure all kinds of ideas for options would come up. Or am I just dreaming?

dw32

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure an app could be made, but will Apple allow such an app to have control like that is the question?

dw32

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you JustMe. Maybe I should have made the thread title clearer: I'm not talking about an iOS app, I mean an app for Mac/OSX.

While clearly it would be better to have Apple's approval, and that's what I'd hugely prefer, aren't there developers for OSX out there who want to keep ALL the sale price?

I take your point about Apple allowing an app to have such control; are there no API calls/libs that could get control in the way needed?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you propose your question to Apple in their feedback on the website and see how they feel about it? Good Luck to you.