Problem adding hotmail account to iphone 5 ios 7.1

I

iMore Question

Hi,

I am having problems adding a hotmail account to my iphone 5 ios 7..

I have tried using Exchange, Outlook.com & Other

All results end up in saying, cannot verify account.

Can you help?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Going to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars then tap on Add Account and choose outlook.com and create your account

Also check your settings on the mail sever make sure your mobile settings are correct

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you choose outlook all settings should be automatic, Make sure you are using the right email and password also. As answered above as well do check your settings also.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am having problems adding a hotmail account to my iphone 5 ios 7..

I have tried using Exchange, Outlook.com & Other

All results end up in saying, cannot verify account.

Can you help?

If your Hotmail account has been converted over to outlook.com like the rest of us, enter your username@outlook.com instead of @hotmail.com. There should be a folder associated with the Outlook.com account named Hotmail that receives all email sent to your hotmail email address.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If your Hotmail account has been converted over to outlook.com like the rest of us, enter your username@outlook.com instead of @hotmail.com. There should be a folder associated with the Outlook.com account named Hotmail that receives all email sent to your hotmail email address.

Mine hasn't been converted...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hotmail address are redirected to open in outlook. Your address is still hotmail unless you have physically changed it which you do not have to do.

Sent from my iPhone5 using iMore Forums

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would recheck because I am sure that all the hotmail accounts were converted a long time ago.

Just checked and mine still ends with @hotmail.com and I haven't got any emails saying it's changing or anything... Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones :p

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Just checked and mine still ends with @hotmail.com and I haven't got any emails saying it's changing or anything... Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones :p

Microsoft had said you can keep you hotmail address forever. It's just re-routed thru outlook.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft had said you can keep you hotmail address forever. It's just re-routed thru outlook.

That's makes more sense, I remember switching to outlook cause it looked better.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Sooo lol when you go to add an existing hotmail address you select the Outlook option but type your hotmail address hahahaha clear as mud ya think but it works.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just convert it yourself by choosing your name @outlook and do it that way. You will not lose hotmail and once Outlook is setup you can go in an close hotmail down but everything will go over to Outlook.

Makeda J

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Sooo lol when you go to add an existing hotmail address you select the Outlook option but type your hotmail address hahahaha clear as mud ya think but it works.

I have tried everything I see listed here but it keeps saying "the username or password for imap-mail.outlook.com is incorrect" but yet i still log in just fine on the computer. Any suggestions?

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
make sure you are selecting outlook.com, then put in your hotmail credentials

yourusername@hotmail.com as the email/username

then your password.

It should be automatic, if you are getting errors, you are making a mistake on your username and or password.

Makeda J

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
make sure you are selecting outlook.com, then put in your hotmail credentials

yourusername@hotmail.com as the email/username

then your password.

It should be automatic, if you are getting errors, you are making a mistake on your username and or password.

I hear what you're saying but it's not my error, I'm using the same exact email and password on a computer and it works just find. I would like to believe it's the phone itself. but I dont know.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Can not verify account is the error you are getting?

Try changing your password to a temporary password by making your password very simple. Like "Imore123" with a capital I, don't use special characters.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Amber Wrenn

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here and took y'all's advice and used outlook with using my hotmail info and it finally WORKS!!!!! Thanks guys! Was very frustrating.

Ivette Rodriguez

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
go to:

sign in to your Hotmail account

go to the gear (upper right)
-options

under Managing your account
-go to Account details

new pop up window-Microsoft account

under Security and password
-create new app password

On iPhone

-add account
-Outlook
-Email (use your hotmail email address)
-Password (use the app password)

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here and took y'all's advice and used outlook with using my hotmail info and it finally WORKS!!!!! Thanks guys! Was very frustrating.

Glad it worked.

Basically hotmail, outlook and live are the same. Just different @domains

Hotmail is the original, live came later and outlook.com is the rebrand.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal