Lost/stolen iPhone 5s in South Korea. Is IMEI blacklist global?

I

iMore Question

Hey guys,

Please help me out!

A short visit to South Korea got my friend devastated... In the airplane back to USA, he realized that his iPhone 5s (iOS 7? 7.1? He does not remember) was not with him. It probably was lost/stolen in the airport....and he is too embarrassed to admit that he was that careless and there was nothing he could do when he figured it out. I feel so bad because I was the one who suggested him to tour my home country.... I know it is not my fault, but I am asking around to see if there is anything I can do to help him out.
As soon as we can, we will go to the cell phone carrier and fill out the report... But would that really help with him get his phone back? Is IMEI blacklist universal? Would it affect the businesses in South Korea so he can get a notification when somebody tries to activate his USA phone with a new Korean SIM card? What else can we do about it?

I'd really really appreciate any piece of advice.... Thanks a lot!

fabio984

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Imei blacklist isn't universal. But if the iPhone has the " find my iPhone " turned on, I guess the "new owner" won't use it for anything. Just a brick.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
As mentioned above if Find my Phone is enabled he could try and locate it thru this feature and wipe it if it's still turned on and hooked up to the internet

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods