I know there are many ways to transfer files (Photos, Contacts, etc.) but do you think we will ever be able to do so over Bluetooth on Apple devices? Do you see any benefit?
    03-31-2014 10:58 AM
    I know what you are asking but in a way they do now... You have to have Bluetooth on and Airdrop also. When an iPhone detects another iDevice with these on you can transfer photos and files to that person if they are within a short distance and it will show you who they are and transfer away.
    03-31-2014 11:19 AM
    What about non iDevices(Android, Windows, etc.)
    03-31-2014 11:28 AM
    This only works for iDevices as I mentioned.
    03-31-2014 11:38 AM
    Other than Airdrop, I do not see them ever doing something like what you can do on Android devices.

On Android, you can pair up say two phones, a phone and a tablet, a phone or tablet and a computer and transfer files, even songs, back and forth between them.
    03-31-2014 01:57 PM
    Other than Airdrop, I do not see them ever doing something like what you can do on Android devices.

On Android, you can pair up say two phones, a phone and a tablet, a phone or tablet and a computer and transfer files, even songs, back and forth between them.
    I agree with you, I don't see that in the near future either. What they need to do is fix Airdrop so that it works between macs and iDevices.

To the OP if you are looking for an alternative, there's an app called instashare that lets you do just that: transfer files between iDevices, Android, Macs... they call it "airdrop done right" --> Instashare ? Transfer files the easy way, AirDrop for iOS, OS X and Android
    Jaguarr40 and Highrisedrifter like this.
    03-31-2014 02:02 PM
    I agree with you, I don't see that in the near future either. What they need to do is fix Airdrop so that it works between macs and iDevices.

Yes Airdrop needs to work like that PLUS, too many times I go to transfer something from my 5S to my iPad and it doesn't work. I have to reboot the phone to get it to see the iPad. I could just email it and have it be faster.
    03-31-2014 04:00 PM
    I wish the Bluetooth transfer could be compatible between the iPhone and other OS's.

Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk
    Eskemo30 likes this.
    03-31-2014 04:16 PM
    I don't think iPhone will ever do that but it would be nice! That's what I love about android.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S
    04-01-2014 11:53 AM
    I have a truly honest question...how often do you find yourself clamoring for the ability to send files of whatever type via bluetooth vs. other, more versatile and distance convenient methods that are available (IE: wireless network connections, cellular connections, etc). Not to say a person's want to have the option is illegitimate, I understand that, but as far as actual usage of the function, I guess I just don't understand the real wide spread WANT for it vs. using other methods.
    04-01-2014 05:46 PM
    Instashare does a very good job with Bluetooth transfer

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    04-01-2014 06:03 PM
    I have a truly honest question...how often do you find yourself clamoring for the ability to send files of whatever type via bluetooth vs. other, more versatile and distance convenient methods that are available (IE: wireless network connections, cellular connections, etc). Not to say a person's want to have the option is illegitimate, I understand that, but as far as actual usage of the function, I guess I just don't understand the real wide spread WANT for it vs. using other methods.
    Very often actually, and also find a lot of people asking me the same thing. I find it very convenient, I just wish for airdrop to work properly at least.

Tapatalkeando
    04-01-2014 09:16 PM
    I only tried it a few times when I got a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7. It was nice for about a day and then I realized it was something I would rarely ever need to do.

It's not a must have feature for me on iOS.
    04-02-2014 04:19 AM
    Stock iPhones have limited capabilities with this. You can use Bluetooth file transfer for pictures and video in your photos apps, but it doesn't work for music and other types of files. Apple only allows transferring data via Bluetooth between two iOS devices. You can remove this restriction if you jailbreak. If you want to transfer all types of files to iPhones, Androids, Blackberrys or Windows phones, you'll have to jailbreak and install AirBlue Sharing. It's compatible with iOS 7.

Sent from Tapa
    04-02-2014 07:33 AM
    Since I only use my iPhones at work, when I go home I've downloaded some things I'd like to BT to my android. That's not everyone's situation though.

Sent from space using Tapatalk.
    04-02-2014 05:30 PM
    The "want" is for direct file transfer. Yes there are a 100+ ways to transfer files through email, cloud, wifi, etc. All of them require extra equipment, effort, money, accounts, usernames & passwords etc. But WHY are we forced to use these methods. Transferring a pdf from an ipad to a pc shouldnt require purchasing internet for a day if your in a remotely located hotel or on a bus. Not when both devices have functioning USB ports, wifi, and bluetooth. Are we supposed to think that after 10 years of iphones the concept of direct file transfer has simply eluded all of those "GENIUSES!!"

iPad gen #1 wishlist item #1 disappointment #1 & reason for not purchasing #1:

1.) Memory card slot?

If my neighbor wants a cup of sugar. I could box it up and FedEx it to him, or I could simply hand it to him because both of our hands work.
    12-08-2014 05:59 AM
    I'm sure Apple has a box somewhere labeled "Do Not Open Untill iPhone Sales Slow Down." And in that box you'll find many long-awaited wishlist items that Apple has simply pretended don't exist on other devices thus far. Already applied items like Pull-Down notification bar & Home Screen Wallpapers, and recently applied items like Live wallpapers, widgets, and a bigger screen option. One could only think that iOS users are one more bad sales quarter away from something like memory card slots & USB "removable storage" options.
    12-08-2014 06:51 AM
    I think its a disgrace and i think your right it all boils down to profits. I have just purchased a iphone6 my first iphone. It wont link to my laptop via bluetooth and also it dont support the text reader in my car.
    So tried to personalise it with my own ringtone 3hrs later i gave up.So safe to say its getting boxed up and going back.I wonder if apple can remember Nokia and how they fell from the top spot within a few years.
    06-15-2015 02:42 PM