i upgraded to an iphone 5s last fall on release. i found the phone on the bestbuy.com web sight and bought it for pick up on lunch day. i was never charged for the $36 upgrade fee, but didnt question it because my fan used to waive those fees. a few months later, I was checking my family plan 3 lines upgrade dates and saw that the line that i upgraded to get the iphone 5s was still showing eligible for an upgrade. my wife wanted a new phone but had no upgrade available and we figured what the heck, the worst they could do was say no. well long story short we purchased the phone on the bestbuy.com web sight for store pickup and the same thing happened. no upgrade registered with at&t and no upgrade charge applied to my bill. now when i check my upgrade status that same line still shows as eligible for upgrade. is this some kind of loophole or will i get some kind of massive charges down the line?
    03-15-2014 02:31 PM
    This is one of those what if I call them being AT&T or not? I think I would call them do square it up so you don't get a huge charge but I would ask for something in good faith since you brought it to their attention, Why not?
    03-15-2014 03:09 PM
    It could turn out to be a lucky break for you...or they could find it while auditing numbers later on and charge you the remainder of the cost of the phone off contract (since, if I understand your post correctly, you were not eligible for an upgrade when you did it).

Could you see a massive charge later on? Maybe...I'm thinking they'll probably contact you about returning it first before they do that though, but given their standard "Business first, customer sometime later..." practices, they might just go after the money without any notification at all to you.

If it were me, and I knew I wasn't eligible for the upgrade, I'd go ahead and take it back or pay for the full price to keep it. You know, ethics and all.
    03-16-2014 12:27 AM
    I think you should contact AT&T. The last thing you want them to do is charge your account for the difference and you not know.
    03-16-2014 01:56 AM
    Att will not charge you the difference for that phone. They didn't sell it to you. That is on BB. If BB did not process the transaction correctly, that's on them. They won't get reimbursed the subsidy from Att.
    Haalcyon likes this.
    03-16-2014 02:04 AM
    i upgraded to an iphone 5s last fall on release. i found the phone on the bestbuy.com web sight and bought it for pick up on lunch day. i was never charged for the $36 upgrade fee, but didnt question it because my fan used to waive those fees. a few months later, I was checking my family plan 3 lines upgrade dates and saw that the line that i upgraded to get the iphone 5s was still showing eligible for an upgrade. my wife wanted a new phone but had no upgrade available and we figured what the heck, the worst they could do was say no. well long story short we purchased the phone on the bestbuy.com web sight for store pickup and the same thing happened. no upgrade registered with at&t and no upgrade charge applied to my bill. now when i check my upgrade status that same line still shows as eligible for upgrade. is this some kind of loophole or will i get some kind of massive charges down the line?
    I say cool it must be a bestbuy issue they will prob eat the cost. I assume thou they somehow are making you sign agreements so I would be careful or you might end up with a mess
    03-16-2014 03:47 AM