Weird problem with 5S please help :(

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
hello friends....its been one week...im using iphone 5s 16gb GEVEY unlocked....
it was going good but today when its battery went to 13% i put in the charging cable but it didnt detect any charging...i got worried...and rebooted my phone...still it was not detecting any charge.
Now if i turn off my phone and plug in the charger pin then phone autmatically turns on....and when the lockscreen comes up its shows charging! ...when i replug then it dont detect again.
in simple words it detects charging when its off but it doesnt when its on....please help me! i tried reset all content and settings ....a simple reset too but no luck....also cleaned the pin and connector.
is it a hardware or software issue ?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
First Welcome to iMore

You stated it charges fine when you plug it in when the phone is turned off but no charge when the phone is on

I'm leaning towards a Hardware issue I would make an appointment at your local Apple Store this is not Normal

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I did forget to ask you if your phone is Jail Broken and what do you mean by "Gevey" ?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
After rereading your post lets slow down do you see a charging bolt beside the battery indicator your iPhone could be charging and you don't realize it

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Before I did anything, I would try another charging cord.

If that doesn't work, I would try restoring the device.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to have it replaced by Apple.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
hello friends....its been one week...im using iphone 5s 16gb GEVEY unlocked....
it was going good but today when its battery went to 13% i put in the charging cable but it didnt detect any charging...i got worried...and rebooted my phone...still it was not detecting any charge.
Now if i turn off my phone and plug in the charger pin then phone autmatically turns on....and when the lockscreen comes up its shows charging! ...when i replug then it dont detect again.
in simple words it detects charging when its off but it doesnt when its on....please help me! i tried reset all content and settings ....a simple reset too but no luck....also cleaned the pin and connector.
is it a hardware or software issue ?

Double check this, but I'm almost certain than if you plug in any turned OFF iPhone it will automatically turn on. So it's definitely recognizing the charging plug, at least from an OFF position if it's turning itself ON.

Next, I'd agree with the above mentioned post. With your phone on unplug and then replug the charger and see if you see the lighting bolt.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
yeah but sometimes it appears and sometimes don't...for example If i turn off my phone and then plug in the cord and phone turns on automatically and when lockscreen comes up it does not show any bolt with the battery indicator but sometimes after a restart it shows the bolt with battery indicator and charges the phone excellently...and when it detects and I remove the plug and replug then it again don't detect charging or charger! :( PLEASE HELP

"my phone was running fine ...my sis was playing a game and she told me that battery is 13% left so please charge...I went to my room and plugged in the charger and :( I got worried...It was not detecting charger :( "

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
First of all I remember this and I should say that turning off your phone and plugging in the cord there is nothing wrong because all phones come on if they are off once you plug the cord in. Just like many of us run it down - The battery until it shuts off the phone and then plug it in it turns on the phone, It helps to condition the phone and should be done a few times a month. I would do as Kataran suggested as it seems you need a visit to an Apple store to figure this out, At least for now you know it can and does charge when off so keep doing what you are doing until you can get Apple to replace it - Step 3 that Sean suggested to you. Good luck.

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
First of all I remember this and I should say that turning off your phone and plugging in the cord there is nothing wrong because all phones come on if they are off once you plug the cord in. Just like many of us run it down - The battery until it shuts off the phone and then plug it in it turns on the phone, It helps to condition the phone and should be done a few times a month. I would do as Kataran suggested as it seems you need a visit to an Apple store to figure this out, At least for now you know it can and does charge when off so keep doing what you are doing until you can get Apple to replace it - Step 3 that Sean suggested to you. Good luck.

I live in Pakistan and there is no apple store in my country...I can't replace :( please help...is it a hardware issue ? what do you think ?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I live in Pakistan and there is no apple store in my country...I can't replace :( please help...is it a hardware issue ? what do you think ?
Let me ask you a few questions if you don't mind..... Where did you or whoever purchase the phone and when - How long ago? It is right now impossible to know if it is hardware. You might need to do some checking on your end to find the nearest country to you where there is an Apple store that is Apple store - A company sore and if near your country where you live, Call them, Explain the situation and believe me they have heard it all so yours will not be unordinary. Ask them what you can do and what they suggest on where to send it for repair or replacement.
Since it is a 5S it should be under warranty as long as the serial number checks out to be legit. This is what I woulddo since it is doing you no good and no matter what you have to do it would be worth it in your end. Good luck.

Addl Info:
I just noticed in your last post YOU said "I can't replace it". I hope I did not write all this to help for no reason but Why can't you replace it if you have a way from Apple to do so??

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro