I'm about to get my first iPhone, which would also be my first smartphone. Until now I've had "dumb phones", mostly flip-phones. I currently have Verzion, but heard AT&T might be better for iPhone services (talk and Internet at the same time). I'm also planning a trip to Europe in October, so which would be better overseas? And which has a better coverage area in the USA?
    03-11-2014 09:55 AM
    On att you are able to browse internet an talk at same time on Verizon you can't do this with iPhone. Here in US Verizon has most coverage as well I think att speeds are faster though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    03-11-2014 10:11 AM
    I'm about to get my first iPhone, which would also be my first smartphone. Until now I've had "dumb phones", mostly flip-phones. I currently have Verzion, but heard AT&T might be better for iPhone services (talk and Internet at the same time). I'm also planning a trip to Europe in October, so which would be better overseas? And which has a better coverage area in the USA?
    You'd have to be more specific about where in the US you are located. Verizon has solid service all over, but is more expensive. AT&T is less expensive and has less overall coverage, but you may find that where you are located AT&T is great.

As for Europe, both companies will have calling and data plans you can purchase ahead of time for the days you are there. You'd have to call and ask them. It's always expensive. I'd limit calls and only use data while on WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly
    03-11-2014 10:11 AM
    I live in New York. And how easy would it be to pop in a 3rd-party sim when in Europe to avoid the expensive international charges?

(I forgot to log in before posting the question, I'm "iMore Question")
    03-11-2014 10:21 AM
    It's easy to pop in a sim assuming it is unlocked. The Verizon sim slot is always unlocked due to legal reasons (they were forced to do so by the FCC as a condition of a spectrum auction). If you pay full price rather than subsidized, the att phone will also be unlocked. Then you can just pop in a new sim while in Europe. This will definitely give you 3G speeds. LTE may not work everywhere because the LTE bands may be different than the US.
    03-11-2014 11:24 AM
    I think T-Mobile has roaming included for certain countries. They don't have the best coverage but work exceptional in bigger cities. You'd need to check coverage in your work/play/home areas.

http://forums.imore.com/e?link=http%...token=aK0poNyk

Sent from one of my toys using Tapatalk.
    03-11-2014 11:27 AM
    AT&T has always been solid in my experience and they offer a great selection of handsets.

{iRiidium} Technophile. 2 of 4 
    03-11-2014 11:37 AM
    It's easy to pop in a sim assuming it is unlocked. The Verizon sim slot is always unlocked due to legal reasons (they were forced to do so by the FCC as a condition of a spectrum auction). If you pay full price rather than subsidized, the att phone will also be unlocked. Then you can just pop in a new sim while in Europe. This will definitely give you 3G speeds. LTE may not work everywhere because the LTE bands may be different than the US.
    Thanks. Since the Verizon iPhone has an unlocked sim, would it also work on AT&T and T-Mobile?
    03-11-2014 11:41 AM
    Thanks. Since the Verizon iPhone has an unlocked sim, would it also work on AT&T and T-Mobile?
    No they are totally different frequencies on there cellular bands

Sent From My Droid RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro
    03-11-2014 11:53 AM
    The iPhone 5, 5s, and 5c from Verizon should be factory unlocked. A lot of people say they are compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile.

03-11-2014 11:57 AM
    The iPhone 5, 5s, and 5c from Verizon should be factory unlocked. A lot of people say they are compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile.

Awesome, so overall the Verizon phone is the best one to get. Not only will it work with overseas sims in Europe, but if I decide to switch to AT&T or T-Mobile, it should work fine? That's good to know, I think I made my decision. :-)
    03-11-2014 12:04 PM
    Now keep in mind, you'll need to change the APN settings if you want it to work properly. Also, I have lots of confirmation about Verizon's iPhone working with T-Mobile. It seems a little more hazy about AT&T.

Here is a good article I found:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebe...hone-5s-or-5c/

03-11-2014 12:10 PM
    Now keep in mind, you'll need to change the APN settings if you want it to work properly. Also, I have lots of confirmation about Verizon's iPhone working with T-Mobile. It seems a little more hazy about AT&T.

Here is a good article I found:
    How to Switch Carriers With Your New iPhone 5s Or 5c - Forbes

Good to know, thanks for your help.
    03-11-2014 12:15 PM
    Yes. The Verizon 5S will work just fine on ATT or tmobile. It will not work on Sprint because Sprint and Verizon use CDMA for voice and that portion is locked. However the 3G GSM and the LTE bands on the Verizon 5S are unlocked and identical to the bands on the ATT or tmobile 5S.
    03-11-2014 12:23 PM