I am a musician and I need a macbook on which I can work my music, perform recordings and listen to music. So I want a Macbook with the best sound carg and sound system. I am between MacBook Air 13.3" 256GB / 8GB RAM and MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display 2.4GHz / 128GB. Are they suitable for my needs? Do you propose any other models? Thank you!
    03-10-2014 12:27 PM
    I know you want input and i would like to ask if you are a Professional Musician? If so you might want to ask some of your colegues. Also we have an Ambassador here name iEd which could be of help to you if you PM him as he is a Professional musician and lastly pull up the specs side by side to see where you are going to get the best components for your money out of the MAC. Good luck.
    03-10-2014 12:38 PM
    Those two systems will have pretty much the same sound. Apple doesn't allow customization of a sound card so they are both using on-board sound.
    03-10-2014 02:06 PM
    To the OP. As far as sound you need a audio I/0 or interface. Same thing. There are a few ways you can go. A USB interface, FireWire and even Thunderbolt. Depending on the what the computer has. For the new MacBooks it's going to be Tbolt or USB. There are literally hundreds of USB audio interfaces to choose from not so many Thunderbolt. But there are some high end ones that are Thunderbolt. You want one with 24bit and 96Khz A/D resolution. Depending on what and how many things you want to record simultaneously as far as inputs. If you are just recording say one instrument at a time you may only need two inputs.

Here's a link to Sweetwater Music as a starting point.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces
    You probably can find better deals at Amazon and a few other online music stores.
    As far as a computer is concerned it depends. On what you are going to do recording wise. In my opinion any new MacBook Pro will get the job done and then some. These things are almost limitless when it comes to recording music. I can't even say the more power the better in using a MBP because the line is so fine as far as recording music with these things. It's almost like you can't go wrong for practical purposes.
    You can also consider a iMac if portability is not a concern.

I use a 2007 iMac in my studio and can easily do 60-70 track counts with high end Waves plugins and even tracked several commercial releases on it and the new MBP Pros blow the doors off my machine.
    Last edited by iEd; 03-10-2014 at 03:21 PM.
    Jaguarr40 and Speedygi like this.
    03-10-2014 03:06 PM
    To the OP. As far as sound you need a audio I/0 or interface. Same thing. There are a few ways you can go. A USB interface, FireWire and even Thunderbolt. Depending on the what the computer has. For the new MacBooks it's going to be Tbolt or USB. There are literally hundreds of USB audio interfaces to choose from not so many Thunderbolt. But there are some high end ones that are Thunderbolt. You want one with 24bit and 96Khz A/D resolution. Depending on what and how many things you want to record simultaneously as far as inputs. If you are just recording say one instrument at a time you may only need two inputs.

Here's a link to Sweetwater Music as a starting point.
    USB Audio Interfaces | Sweetwater.com
    You probably can find better deals at Amazon and a few other online music stores.
    As far as a computer is concerned it depends. On what you are going to do recording wise. In my opinion any new MacBook Pro will get the job done and then some. These things are almost limitless when it comes to recording music. I can't even say the more power the better in using a MBP because the line is so fine as far as recording music with these things. It's almost like you can't go wrong for practical purposes.
    You can also consider a iMac if portability is not a concern.

I use a 2007 iMac in my studio and can easily do 60-70 track counts with high end Waves plugins and even tracked several commercial releases on it and the new MBP Pros blow the doors off my machine.
    Gosh and I said I knew and Ambassador I work with that can more than likely help. Don't be shy now Ed, Make sure you don't hold back and give him good advice
    03-10-2014 03:29 PM