Cannot remember password to my Wi-Fi network

I

iMore Question

I have been having trouble with connecting my I-pad to my wi-fi network. I tried to restart the setup of my I-pad and am now at where I need to type in my password.
I don't know what that is and it will not let me go forward. How do I find out what my password is?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you changed the login to your router from the factory default, Log into it and find your pass phrase, It should not be masked and then you can continue.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been having trouble with connecting my I-pad to my wi-fi network. I tried to restart the setup of my I-pad and am now at where I need to type in my password.
I don't know what that is and it will not let me go forward. How do I find out what my password is?

Unless you've written it down somewhere or have entered it into a password app, there is NOTHING you can do except reset your Wi-Fi router and enter a new passcode, as has already been stated by Jaguarr40. Once you've done that, connect your device to your Wi-Fi network with the new passcode. I also suggest you invest in a password app and enter the Wi-Fi passcode in it for safekeeping.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lol...do people actually think about these kinds of questions before they post them? I'm just curious, because the nature of the question is absolutely hilarious.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In rare instances the password is written in the back of the Router 

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
I can tell you that every router I have ever owned the username and password has been Admin - Admin and that is where people get in trouble because they don't take 5 mins to change the way to log in and then create a strong Passphrase to use for their devices and put them into a Password app. I have anything Important in DataVault and back it up and sync it weekly like everything else to stay out of this trouble.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
connect with a computer open the browser and type in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 which is usually the basic setup for most routers. Then depending on the brand the username and password might be admin for both. More info would be needed to go any further than all the info already in the thread.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Please find yourself a password app to enter this information. There are many to choose from including some that are free that will work for you.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It's almost always under the router. There should also be a way to reset the router if you forget the password, but I never tried it since I never forgot the password.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have never seen a password written under or on back of the router, The name brand routers which we all know i already told you the username and password of the ROUTER ONLY - Admin Admin and all that does id get you in the router even if you use the URL. It has nothing to do with what the OP forgot. If he set up in order to secure what he hooked up to it it is a passphrase that you would make up using numbers and letters and the longer the stronger. All you have to do is get back into the router unless like most people you also changed the password. The username will not change and stay as admin and you make up the password and then the one for the say your WIFI Passphrase for your iPhone and that is the way it works and everyone knows it, if you can't get past this, Junk the router. But a new one and start over keeping all this in mind...and a password app.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have never seen a password written under or on back of the router, The name brand routers which we all know i already told you the username and password of the ROUTER ONLY - Admin Admin and all that does id get you in the router even if you use the URL. It has nothing to do with what the OP forgot. If he set up in order to secure what he hooked up to it it is a passphrase that you would make up using numbers and letters and the longer the stronger. All you have to do is get back into the router unless like most people you also changed the password. The username will not change and stay as admin and you make up the password and then the one for the say your WIFI Passphrase for your iPhone and that is the way it works and everyone knows it, if you can't get past this, Junk the router. But a new one and start over keeping all this in mind...and a password app.

Wi-Fi routers that are provided by cable / DSL service providers will have serial or some other number that is set as the Passcode.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I will give you that. I was thinking and still do thing everyone was talking about a router you go to like a Best Buy and purchase like mt Netgear Router.