Receiving Texts on iPad and iPhone

I

iMore Question

Sometimes I receive texts on my iPad that I don't receive on my iphone and vice versa. I've tried many things but to no avail. The only thing that seems curious to me is on my iphone: when I go to Settings, Messges, Send & Receive, my phone number appears in light grey and can't be "checked" under "You can be reached by message at". Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This happens to may people and so you are lucky. Simply go to your settings and open it up and go to Network Settings. Reset your network settings and reboot your phone. Everything should be back and you can select your phone. After that make sure everything is set up the same on both devices for messaging. BTW you will find what you are looking for under General and scroll to Reset and then look for Network Settings. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I receive texts on my iPad that I don't receive on my iphone and vice versa. I've tried many things but to no avail. The only thing that seems curious to me is on my iphone: when I go to Settings, Messges, Send & Receive, my phone number appears in light grey and can't be "checked" under "You can be reached by message at". Any suggestions would be appreciated.

That is indeed the problem. If you initiate an iMessage using an Apple ID or receive an iMessage via Apple ID, only your device that are configured with the Apple ID will receive the synced iMessage conversation. If you initiate an iMessage with using your phone number or receive an iMessage sent to your phone number, any of your devices that do not have your phone number checked in the send & receive field will not see the conversation. Now, on your iPhone, is your phone number grayed out with a check mark next to it or grayed out without a check mark next to it? I'm either case, logout of iMessage on all of your devices then log back in with your iPhone first. Afterwards, log back in to iMessage with your other devices. Your phone number should be detected and displayed on them.

trout6

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I've been able to select my phone number on my iphone. However, just had someone send me a text and it only went to my phone, not my iPad.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been able to select my phone number on my iphone. However, just had someone send me a text and it only went to my phone, not my iPad.

You will not receive any iMessages on your iPad that was sent to your phone number until the phone number is associated with the iPad. You can logging onto the Manage Your Apple ID site and making sure that your information is listed as "verified". Other than that, it may take a few reboots, and log-outs to get your phone number to take or just add and Apple ID to your iPhone and use it to send & receive iMessages.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Did everything and didn't work. Rebooted and now it works. Thanks to both of you for your help.

Like I stated above, "it may take a few reboots and logouts...."...;)...Anyway, I'm glad you got it working and thank you for the update. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2