This may be a silly question but i haven't had an apple product in a while and i just purchased the ipad air 16gb i have been hearing about icloud storage i have plenty of songs and movies on my android phone and i would like to transfer at least my whole music library and some movies, is that possible with icloud or will those files have to be counted against device storage because it wasnt purchased from itunes. i am also under the impression that when it is stored in icloud you have to download it back on storage device(ipad) to view or listen to music is that true? and when you do try to access files from icloud is it a long process? thank you to anyone who may answer this post it is gladly appreciated as it will bring me up to speed with my device without somebody trying to get me with a sales pitch and will save me money because i am considering stepping up to a 32gb which is a bit costly since i bought two but in the long run i just want to make the best decision without breaking the bank once again thanks
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    02-28-2014 04:52 PM
    Here's the thing about iCloud...you can store music there and it will not take up your devices allotted storage, but to use it, it requires a data connection of some sort where music will be streamed from iCloud, which means if you're not in a WiFi network and you don't have a cellular model, you won't be able to play these files. If you DO have a cellular model, this will eat away at your allotted data usage per month...quite quickly too depending on what you're trying to stream.

Videos, movies and TV shows work in the same way.

Access to iCloud depends on your network connection...I can stream any of those things with my iPhone using cellular or WiFi and the connection is instantaneous if I have a good connection. As with anything network related, if you're in a poor coverage area, expect slow to no connection to iCloud (just like you would to the internet or app store or anything).
    02-28-2014 05:39 PM
    This may be a silly question but i haven't had an apple product in a while and i just purchased the ipad air 16gb i have been hearing about icloud storage i have plenty of songs and movies on my android phone and i would like to transfer at least my whole music library and some movies, is that possible with icloud or will those files have to be counted against device storage because it wasnt purchased from itunes. i am also under the impression that when it is stored in icloud you have to download it back on storage device(ipad) to view or listen to music is that true? and when you do try to access files from icloud is it a long process? thank you to anyone who may answer this post it is gladly appreciated as it will bring me up to speed with my device without somebody trying to get me with a sales pitch and will save me money because i am considering stepping up to a 32gb which is a bit costly since i bought two but in the long run i just want to make the best decision without breaking the bank once again thanks
    Yes the files would have to be counted against your internal storage, and those files would have to be transferred directly from your computer to your iPad or you can back the files up to a third party cloud service that from your current device using Dropbox, GoogleDrive, Mycloud etc. etc. but if you use a third party cloud service you would only be able to access said files from the cloud service app you would have to download to your iPad. You can't get any files to apples cloud service iCloud unless you have the files on an iDevice and the back those files up to iCloud. But when you do back up files to iCloud you can download them back on to your iPad but you can stream from the cloud as well and of course an internet connection is required. And getting the files can be a long process it all depends on how many and how large the files your trying to access are. You should just go with the 32 gb it's the sweet spot for storage because we're in a time now where 16 gb is just not enough.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums
    imnewtothis likes this.
    02-28-2014 06:02 PM
    Here's the thing about iCloud...you can store music there and it will not take up your devices allotted storage, but to use it, it requires a data connection of some sort where music will be streamed from iCloud, which means if you're not in a WiFi network and you don't have a cellular model, you won't be able to play these files. If you DO have a cellular model, this will eat away at your allotted data usage per month...quite quickly too depending on what you're trying to stream.

Videos, movies and TV shows work in the same way.

Access to iCloud depends on your network connection...I can stream any of those things with my iPhone using cellular or WiFi and the connection is instantaneous if I have a good connection. As with anything network related, if you're in a poor coverage area, expect slow to no connection to iCloud (just like you would to the internet or app store or anything).
    One of the best explanations of not just iCloud storage but IOS and the Phones internal storage that I have read in a long time.

Even I understood it all Sean...Thank you for going over it.
    02-28-2014 06:04 PM
    One of the most lucid and well thought out questions about IOS , iCloud and internal storage I have read from a new guest. Hope your answer should have been spot on. Thank you and enjoy your phones and why not join iMore. I think you will really like it here.
    02-28-2014 06:07 PM
    so in essence if im in airplane mode then i cant view my files... wow theres always a catch i should've figured that much, i work underground and at times there is no connection so in whatever minimum downtime i have i would like to watch a movie, thank you so much for your time and effort for answering this for me
    02-28-2014 06:11 PM
    always better off to have more storage and not need it then needing it and not having it-
    nikkisharif and pr1nce like this.
    03-01-2014 09:50 AM
    Use BOX app for important data. Secure and stable and can login from any device. Also can view save or offline and view some docs in Airplane Mode.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly
    03-02-2014 11:36 PM