Why does the volume on my iphone keep turning itself down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iMore Question

why does the volume on my iphone keep turning itself down

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

I don't know. Does it turn itself down when on a call, listening to music, both, or what? Anyway, do the following:

1. Go to Settings - Music
2. Locate the "Volume Limit" setting.
3. If it say "ON", tap on in and then slide the lever all the way to the max position. If it is already set to "OFF", disregard.

Matt Dwyer1

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
re:

Mine does this too. Seems like it always does it at night. Last night, I double checked both ring volume and regular volume were max. By the time alarm clock went this morning, the regular volume was barely loud enough to wake me up.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
re:

If you have an iPhone 6, it might be accidentally happening when you press the power button. For some reason, Apple put the power button directly opposite the volume rocker. This makes it difficult pressing the power button without having other fingers on your hand gripping the volume buttons. Sounds stupid I know, but I have done it many times without noticing. Hopefully they will move the power button to a slightly different location on their next design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cory Comer

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
re:

Someone tipped me off that the Facebook App is the cause. Simply double tap the home button, swipe to Facebook and force close the app. Your volume will immediately return to normal. Just did it myself.

Very annoying, but likely not iOS's fault.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine does that sometimes. I haven't figured out any rhyme or reason. But I suspect camera or video use.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
re:

I know I am late with this but it happened to me and drove me insane. I have now figured it out so thought I'd share. I don't know the explanation of my solution but here goes. If you go to settings, sounds then scroll to the bottom. Turn keyboard clicks off then back on and the volume goes back to normal.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
re:

I know I am late with this but it happened to me and drove me insane. I have now figured it out so thought I'd share. I don't know the explanation of my solution but here goes. If you go to settings, sounds then scroll to the bottom. Turn keyboard clicks off then back on and the volume goes back to normal.

Be sure it's turned up everywhere. Go to Settings >Sounds >turn up all the way. Also turn it up with the control on the side. Swipe up the control center and make sure that's turned up. Part is that the bottom speaker works independent of the top speaker.

boilerplate

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
re:

Thanks, Corey Comer. Volume down on iphone 5 on WWF for no reason. I closed FB, no effect. But when I closed all other apps, sound came right back. Now I have to figure out which one. Very annoying, but glad to know workaround.

Luke Redfern1

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
re:

It's happening to me all the time and it's driving me mad! I don't have the facebook app. I've tried all of the above as well as switching on and off again. I've checked the headphones though my laptop (they have a volume button in the wire) and it's definitely not them. It's doing it now and I don't have any apps open.

going to try to update my IOS. Any more ideas anyone?

beadle4

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
re:

I'm having the same issues with my sound automatically turning down and muting itself. None of the suggestions seem to help.

Curt Gentry

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
re:

Open your Facebook app on the iPhone.

Click the 3 lines on the bottom right.

Click Settings.

Click Account Settings.

Click Sounds.

UnCheck In-App Sound.

This should fix the annoying volume decrease every time you open Facebook while listening to music.

Abe94

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
re:

Hitting the power button and power button taking a screen shot did it for me finally. Did the Facebook settings thing but was still happening.

anotherhappyday

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
re:

FIXED, the static popping came from other apps using the microfone, in settings I switched off (one by one) the microphone access for each app and instantly the static popping stopped, turned the mic back on and it came back. The app that caused this was a voip service app. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73