iOS limitations, but why???

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
The following common gsm network features which are available for some time on gsm networks worldwide. They are widely common in smart phones such as android as well as normal phones, and not available in iOS, but why ?

* call waiting notifications - you are calling someone and he/she is on a another call, and has call waiting enabled, your phone displays "caller waiting" or something similar while ringing

* you are on a call and the other party put the line on hold, your phone displays "caller on hold" when he/she back on line, your phone displays "call active" or something similar so you don't have hold on to your phone while other party finish its call.

* when you are on a call, other party activated conference call and your phone displays "conference call" on the display. So you know that you are speaking to two or more people not just one.

* SMS delivery notifications, currently available only on iMessage. Again, common in other phones but not iOS.

You may not aware of these features but they are widely used and highly useful. Is there anyway we could send these feature requests directly to apple.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

Last edited:

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they are not new. It's only matter of iOS interprets that's signal in to a readable message. Most of them are network features common to gam (and other standards).

If you buy a normal phone and try above, you will get all the above notifications. But not in iOS and it's disappointing.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Even though the features are nice, they mostly involve making phone calls, which I hardly ever do anymore. It is probably the reason why those features hadn't occurred to me before.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The following common gsm network features which are available for some time on gsm networks worldwide. They are widely common in smart phones such as android as well as normal phones, and not available in iOS, but why ?

* call waiting notifications - you are calling someone and he/she is on a another call, and has call waiting enabled, your phone displays "caller waiting" or something similar while ringing

* you are on a call and the other party put the line on hold, your phone displays "caller on hold" when he/she back on line, your phone displays "call active" or something similar so you don't have hold on to your phone while other party finish its call.

* when you are on a call, other party activated conference call and your phone displays "conference call" on the display. So you know that you are speaking to two or more people not just one.

* SMS delivery notifications, currently available only on iMessage. Again, common in other phones but not iOS.

You may not aware of these features but they are widely used and highly useful. Is there anyway we could send these feature requests directly to apple.

Definitely send the feedback to Apple. I've used several Android phones and haven't missed any of these features but I'm sure there are others that feel the same way you do.

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Another feature I forgot to mention here is "increasing ring". it's not a network feature but very useful.

For those who don't know, when enabled what it does is when receiving a call start the ringer in the lowest volume level and gradually increase it to a pre-defined maximum volume level within 15 seconds or so.
When ringing you have some time to answer the phone or mute the ringer without disturbing others.
It's simple but very useful feature, but iOS doesn't have it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's important to remember that just because you find something important or even 100,000 people find something useful...it doesn't reflect a consumer base of hundreds of millions of people. Functionality differs from device to device, even more blanket functionality that apply to network settings vs. on device software features.

That said, I could list things other OS's are missing that iOS includes as well, but in that, if there was a perfect OS, everyone would use it. You live in a consumer product world where you essentially have to select the one that does the most of what you want with the smallest amount of sacrifice. It'd be amazing if iOS did everything that every person wanted, but it's never going to happen.

In other words, I'm happy to be missing these functions for the functions iOS does right that I don't find on other devices.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Sean has a good point, iOS can't have everything.. Have to take the good with the bad, and in most apple fans lives the good outweighs the bad.... I wished I had wifi texting capabilities to my android friends when I used an android. No such luck.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Not all carriers support the features you listed.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPod touch 5th gen using Tapatalk

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to have a notification LED(blinking light) in the home button for any kind of notification. Imagine, touch id glowing when a message comes up.. Will be very very cool

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
That's Ok :) but a notification LED will save you from lighting up your screen after mins/hours in case you have been away from your iPhone(more battery life). I have a strong feeling, Apple will introduce this very soon :)

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Sure is a want for it, so I hope it works out for you. Hopefully if they do it, they will put in an off switch.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lol...the old notification light. It's never going to happen, but you know, as legitimate as anything else that people "wish" for I suppose. I wish the iPhone could make me a nice 1/2 pound burger cooked to a perfect pink medium temperature, but like the notification light, it's never going to happen.

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
@sean don't think iPhone is a perfect product. You are talking like its complete but it's not. It has so many negatives, unfortunately most of them are simple things which can be fixed/added very easily but apple do not care about. The reason for that is uses never ask for it. Most of users don't know these features even exists.

Example: old iPhones didn't have Picture messages (MMS) feature. Funny thing is, at that time the whole world was enjoying mms in other phones.

My final conclusion is apple can always introduce new features, if you don't like it, you can switch it off like we do now. Even now we switch off most of the cool features cos of iPhones poor battery life. That's another proof that apple does not give a **** about their customers . Internet is flooded with this topic. Apple could easily fix this by introducing a little larger battery.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You are putting words in my mouth that I never said...and you're also assuming a lot, which is foolish. I personally never called anything generally perfect...but I will say that the iPhone is perfect...FOR ME (and I always reflect my reviews and input as such).

Instead of typing it all again, I'm going to copy and paste a response from another thread that fits a retort to your own comment. And let me say this, while you feel that Apple doesn't care about their customers, they are the only company that has the customer service level that gets such high praise...year in and year out they are reflected as a top tier company in terms of customer service, so I'll stick with that vs. your opinion that they don't care based on your "insight"...that said, here was my response...

The iPhone is overshadowed by the Lumia line of phones in terms of camera...there's just no way around that. But while the camera function is bettered by significant hardware betterments, the chassis, weight and size of the phone is traded off (if we think of it in terms of preference to the iPhone size). Even with larger screen real estate, the iPhone simply won't have the internal space to improve the camera to over come that gap that the Nokia's have put out now.

The Galaxy Note series of phones have an unprecedented battery life that pretty much dwarfs everything else...but it's also nearly the size of a tablet, so the battery they are able to include is also substantial in size. This is just not something we can expect from the iPhone because of it's current design cues...not until better technology comes along, and even then, it'll be a market application, not specific to the iPhone at all...so we can safely assume that the iPhone will never have that kind of market leading battery life...it's just not that kind of device, nor is it designed to be.

I mean we could even get into the more specialty built devices like the HTC's that featured "Beats Audio"...I mean these are DESIGNED with the focus of playing your content aloud for others to hear with better quality audio components...again, the design allowed for such (and the size of the chassis), so it is something you'd never really expect to be in the iPhone as it is currently setup (that and it was kind of like a "sponsor" of sorts with the Beats by Dre audio development...where Apple would simply do that in house if ever)

...and I know that I'm missing about a hundred other things. You see, there are better features on other devices...but here's the kicker, the iPhone is designed to offer as much technology within the most streamlined package, and right now, there is not another phone that competes in that regard. If you look at it like a car (which I so often do because I'm a grease monkey), you're never going to find a Ferrari that is built like a Lincoln Towncar, and you're never going to find a TownCar that is built like a Ferrari...these are different focuses, different fields of success...just because the Ferrari won't accommodate an adult comfortably in the rear seats doesn't mean it's a lesser car, and just because the TownCar won't accelerate to 60mph in a couple of seconds doesn't make it any lesser a car.

I grow so tired of reading "Well this is the better phone..." and "No...this is the better phone...", and then all the crap about which phone is behind which in terms of technology and development and blah blah freakin' blah. They are different...they are developed for different audiences in many ways, and they are filled with features that cater to different brackets of consumers. On the other hand, you have a general assortment of features that cater to every consumer in the market, so because of this, you have to pick and choose which device is best for you.

Bottom line...there is no "best" device. None of them are falling behind or gaining a lead, because none of them are a generally attractive device for every consumer. They implement here, and sacrifice there and in the end, you're left with a multitude of products that cater to a multitude of people and each one of them, in the hands of the person who prefers it, is the best on the market. The iPhone is no different...it does some things better, some things worse and some things the same...it's all a matter of whether it does what you need it to better than other devices, and it does for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner