Hi all. This question seems like a no-brainer to me but I'd like some others input. I acquired an iPhone 5 for an excellent deal ( $150 ) and have been quite pleased with it. I've been using Android for many years now but it was starting to get stale so I decided to switch to the dark side lol. Anyways, I'm a real stickler about my devices. This one has a few small dings and it drives me nuts. Now comes in the question. With Verizon's new addition to Share Everything Plans, I can get a 5S for an additional $5 a month. Over two years, that's only $120. They're currently still giving $300 credit for an iPhone 5. Would I be silly not to trade in and get the 5S?
    02-21-2014 08:13 AM
    That's a great trade in value, I think I'd take the deal
    02-21-2014 08:23 AM
    Of course you have to make that decision but it does seem like a good deal and you will have the latest there is right now.

Actually thinking about it, The private market would be your best bet after thinking about what Sean had to say.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 02-21-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added Content.
    02-21-2014 08:37 AM
    You'd be silly not to sell it on the private market vs. trading it in...you're essentially throwing money away with the trade in services. The iPhone 5, even the 16GB model, is still well over $300 on the private market.
    njshoregurlz likes this.
    02-21-2014 09:17 AM
    That trade in crap is why I didn't go with Edge a couple months ago. So you're telling me I have to give up my completely paid for device to join your program? Why not let my keep my device and let me join due to my 7+ years of service with nary a single late payment? Now if I was already using Edge and had to trade in a device that I'd obtained through the Edge program I get it, but not the device that I already owned coming in.
    02-21-2014 11:24 AM
    Private market is much better.
    02-21-2014 08:06 PM
    That trade in crap is why I didn't go with Edge a couple months ago. So you're telling me I have to give up my completely paid for device to join your program? Why not let my keep my device and let me join due to my 7+ years of service with nary a single late payment? Now if I was already using Edge and had to trade in a device that I'd obtained through the Edge program I get it, but not the device that I already owned coming in.
    If you own your device outright you don't have to trade in to join edge.

You only have to trade in if you're on contract or using edge up to upgrade early.

And if you're upgrading and want to keep the phone pay it off and then get a new one on edge without trading it in. They aren't forcing you to trade in. They're giving you a choice.

Trade in or buy outright.

A 32 GB iPhone 5S is $749. 16 GB is $649. It's your choice.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    02-24-2014 08:20 PM
    If you own your device outright you don't have to trade in to join edge.

You only have to trade in if you're on contract or using edge up to upgrade early.

And if you're upgrading and want to keep the phone pay it off and then get a new one on edge without trading it in. They aren't forcing you to trade in. They're giving you a choice.

Trade in or buy outright.

A 32 GB iPhone 5S is $749. 16 GB is $649. It's your choice.

So if you're under contract still then you have to trade in? That kind of makes sense. Luckily since then I've switched back and found a nice 2nd hand 32GB 5 with 9 months of warranty left on it! No real reason to get a 5S at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    02-24-2014 08:37 PM
    Correct. And I did. And don't really regret it. You can upgrade every year and not have to worry about it.

02-24-2014 08:38 PM
    Hi all. This question seems like a no-brainer to me but I'd like some others input. I acquired an iPhone 5 for an excellent deal ( $150 ) and have been quite pleased with it. I've been using Android for many years now but it was starting to get stale so I decided to switch to the dark side lol. Anyways, I'm a real stickler about my devices. This one has a few small dings and it drives me nuts. Now comes in the question. With Verizon's new addition to Share Everything Plans, I can get a 5S for an additional $5 a month. Over two years, that's only $120. They're currently still giving $300 credit for an iPhone 5. Would I be silly not to trade in and get the 5S?
    I assume the 300 is towards the edge full retail price and that's what your stating 5 a month .. But remember to use edge when iphone 6 comes the device must be atleast half way paid and you must trade it in.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-24-2014 11:49 PM
    I would sell it on the private market.
    02-25-2014 12:07 AM
    I would sell it on the private market.
    If the new iPhone comes with a noticeably larger screen I wonder how that will affect retail value. I notice Android devices are becoming extremely popular around here, and not the cheap ones either.

If you sell on market you're still going to pay half of that to subsidize again and if you want to upgrade early you have an etf. Unless you add in out of pocket to buy off contract/unlocked.

Edge makes more sense for an Android user than for an iPhone user. There is more choice in android which makes the frequent upgrades more attractive. Not really the same on ios ecosystem where it's one device per year, period.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    02-27-2014 02:20 PM