So while you might think I'm crazy for not saying macbook, let me explain. I'm probably going to be attending an Institute of Technology, and I am provided with a new laptop every year. So I'm thinking of getting a beautiful 27" iMac for my desk. Thoughts? I've got an iPad and probably getting the iPhone 6

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    02-20-2014 07:14 PM
    You were the one that adviced you the other day to buy what you can afford knowing that most of what you get in a MBP would not be upgradeable so get what you can afford. Now if you are going to be provided a laptop which you did not mention, It has to be up to you about the desktop as that is a big computer. It seems like everything is flipflopped from the other day. Everything is good but it has to be your ultimate decision on what to buy. Research it and buy what makes sense and what you can afford.

This is the thread you wrote the other day and what the people advised you to refresh your memory: Good luck with what you decide.

http://forums.imore.com/ask-question...th-2014-a.html
    02-20-2014 07:21 PM
    So while you might think I'm crazy for not saying macbook, let me explain. I'm probably going to be attending an Institute of Technology, and I am provided with a new laptop every year. So I'm thinking of getting a beautiful 27" iMac for my desk. Thoughts? I've got an iPad and probably getting the iPhone 6

Have you considered what you would be doing on your iMac that you wouldn't be doing on your MacBook? If the difference is very minimal, save your money and just use the provided MacBook.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-20-2014 07:30 PM
    Start your adult life maturely and properly by realizing that you're in a position (college) where necessities outweigh random wants and desires. If you have a Macbook, you're already doing well in the computer department for a college student...use that extra money to pay for what every college kid needs more of...beer and food.
    Jaguarr40, Just_Me_D and jburke82 like this.
    02-20-2014 07:52 PM
    I agree with D...save your money!!!
    02-20-2014 07:54 PM
    Especially as I remind you and you said it, The technology school provides you with a new laptop EVERY year. Save your money for other things you will need.
    02-20-2014 08:43 PM
    If you feel that you need an iMac, I say go for it. However, if you'll have a personal laptop provided to you, I'd be more inclined to save my money and use it for something else at a different time.

the_tech_eater likes this.
    02-20-2014 08:48 PM
    Spend a few hundred more, and get a Mac Pro!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    02-20-2014 08:50 PM
    You were the one that adviced you the other day to buy what you can afford knowing that most of what you get in a MBP would not be upgradeable so get what you can afford. Now if you are going to be provided a laptop which you did not mention, It has to be up to you about the desktop as that is a big computer. It seems like everything is flipflopped from the other day. Everything is good but it has to be your ultimate decision on what to buy. Research it and buy what makes sense and what you can afford.

This is the thread you wrote the other day and what the people advised you to refresh your memory: Good luck with what you decide.

http://forums.imore.com/ask-question...th-2014-a.html
    Sorry for the confusion from the last forum. I just got accepted to this university today so it wasn't relevant during the last thread

02-20-2014 09:02 PM
    Also the laptop isn't a macbook, it's a lenovo t540

02-20-2014 09:03 PM
    Spend a few hundred more, and get a Mac Pro!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    If I had the money I would!

02-20-2014 09:03 PM
    Sorry for the confusion from the last forum. I just got accepted to this university today so it wasn't relevant during the last thread

Congrats for being accepted - Now get out there and do well in your studies and let them give you the laptop every year and save your money for like I said before, Things you will need you might not be thinking about now. I am sure everyone is proud of you.
    02-20-2014 09:05 PM
    Congrats for being accepted - Now get out there and do well in your studies and let them give you the laptop every year and save your money for like I said before, Things you will need you might not be thinking about now. I am sure everyone is proud of you.
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

02-20-2014 09:07 PM

Also the laptop isn't a macbook, it's a lenovo t540

If I had the money I would!

Don't worry about the confusion and if they are giving you a new laptop every year even a Lenovo at least that is money in your pocket.
    02-20-2014 09:08 PM
    use that extra money to pay for what every college kid needs more of...beer and food.

Wiser words have never been spoken
    iHackPro likes this.
    02-21-2014 11:52 AM
    If you are on a budget, a Mac Mini works fine, and if you don't have an extra monitor for that get a iMac...that is, if you want Macs of the desktop variety...
    02-21-2014 11:41 PM