HELP!! Switching from Iphone 4s to Android - Need phone recommendations

laura1fresitas

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am (or "almost" was I should say) an IPhone user and have been for over 3 years. I am done with them!
I am looking into switching to Android. I am looking for Android phone suggestions based on the following criteria:
-Good battery life (minimum 10 hrs)
-Phone needs to have a good camera/video recording
-Good display
-Easy to handle/use , considering I am switching from an Iphone
-I will be using the phone mainly for emails, social media, and as a camera/video camera.
I DO HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME!!!
My top 3 picks are : HTC 1, LG G2 and Nexus 5. HELP!!! 85% of people I know have iPhone and the 15 % left use Samsung, which I do not like.
I have a Galaxy S4 from work and I do not like the way the phone handles at all!
HELP!
THANK YOU

Megan Blok

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately (at least imho) android handles poorly. You said you didn't like the way the S4 handles. I used to have a droid and I couldn't stand it. At least two taps to get one button to work, something about iOS just works. Once again in MY opinion. Others may feel differently.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s 

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I am (or "almost" was I should say) an IPhone user and have been for over 3 years. I am done with them!
I am looking into switching to Android. I am looking for Android phone suggestions based on the following criteria:
-Good display
-I will be using the phone mainly for emails, social media, and as a camera/video camera.
My top 3 picks are : HTC 1, LG G2 and Nexus 5. HELP!!! 85% of people I know have iPhone and the 15 % left use Samsung, which I do not like.
I do have a Galaxy S4 from work and I do not like the way the phone handles at all.
HELP!
THANK YOU

I think you should post this at AndroidCentral. But you'll hate android! The experience you have on your S4, is the same experience you'll have on all android phones. You'll regret switching!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You'll probably get some suggestions here on iMore. You should post this at Android Central. Whatever you decide, good luck.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I've owned a Note 3 and LG G2 recently. IMO the G2 is the best android currently available in the US. Sony makes some nice phones but they aren't as readily available here. I had a white G2 and it was an awesome phone. Great screen, super fast and the battery life is the best I've ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I can give some input. It really depends if you want to go stock Android or carrier based Android, any of the Google Play Edition phones if you want the former, Moto X if you want the latter.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The note 3 is nice but I returned mine after a week due to build quality. I was much happier with my G2. I miss that phone now but the Nokia 1520 caught my eye at the time. Now the Nokia is for sale and I'm rocking a white 5s. Hey, don't judge;)

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
The LG G2 is a great, high-quality device and the Moto X is quite popular too, though its build materials don't please me. The S5 is about to drop too, so I'd hold wait until the 2/24 to see what its all about.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The S5, G3, htc one.2 and then the Note 4. Lots of androids coming out in the next 6 months.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Is this a trick thread? If 85% of your friends are iphone users, then stay in the loop. You should wait for iphone 6. We'll see iOS 8 previewed in June and the leaks go from there.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
-Good display
I have a Galaxy S4 from work and I do not like the way the phone handles at all!
HELP!
THANK YOU

Why are you done with the iPhone?

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Android central may be most helpful, but I would recommend the Nexus device line, so the N5. You're used to timely updates with Apple, so stick with who will give you them

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5 isn't bad. However I think the LG G2 is the best if you don't like Samsung. Only drawback I see for myself is the lack of SD card.

Sent from my something or another on Tapatalk.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5 isn't bad. However I think the LG G2 is the best if you don't like Samsung. Only drawback I see for myself is the lack of SD card.

Sent from my something or another on Tapatalk.

I agree, the nexus is nice but the screen and battery are better on the G2. My g2 was a 32gb so I didn't really need any more storage.

That 5.2" screen on the g2 is truly fantastic.

laura1fresitas

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
THANKS for all of the tips!!!
My carrier does not have the LG G2 AARRGGGHHH and off contract is too expensive.
I have followed the suggestion of some of you and posted my question on Android world.
So far looks like the Nexus 5 is the best bet :)
Cheers

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
-Good display
HELP!
THANK YOU

I think you should post this at AndroidCentral. But you'll hate android! The experience you have on your S4, is the same experience you'll have on all android phones. You'll regret switching!

So, do you know laura1fresitas personally the_tech_eater? Otherwise, you can think she'll hate Android, but won't know for sure. I think a lot of the problems with the S4, which I have right next to my Mac that I'm typing this on, next to my 5C, is TouchWiz garbage. If I couldn't root to remove the TouchWiz stuff, I would at the very least install something like ActionLauncher. I never liked TouchWiz. The experiences you have had with any Samsung device don't have to translate to a non-Samsung. I've heard great things about the Nexus line, looking at replacing the S4 with an N5 today actually, as it can do Sprint's Spark.

"Easy to handle/use , considering I am switching from an iPhone" - This is something *no one* can say for you. *I* personally don't find Android harder than iOS at all. I really find iOS a bit harder because I have to think the way Apple does for how to do things, and Android lets me do things in different ways. Now, a Nexus has no extra garbage on it, nor would a Google Play Edition S4 or Google Play Edition HTC One. They're 100% Android. I'd say if you can get to a store, and play with a Nexus, you'll be better able to make a choice. If by "social networking" you mean you're a Facebook junkie, there is Facebook Home. Which basically makes your phone 90% Facebook/Instagram, and 10% others (doesn't hide Email just puts FB up front). I wouldn't know how well it works as I haven't had a Facebook since 2011.

Use whichever you want. Just the "ease of use" is all up to you.

Edit: Don't mean this negatively the_tech_eater just that comment bugged me as an S4 is really different from vanilla Android, and (assuming female) she may hate Android, and she may love it, we don't know until she tries both.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
So, do you know laura1fresitas personally the_tech_eater? Otherwise, you can think she'll hate Android, but won't know for sure. I think a lot of the problems with the S4, which I have right next to my Mac that I'm typing this on, next to my 5C, is TouchWiz garbage. If I couldn't root to remove the TouchWiz stuff, I would at the very least install something like ActionLauncher. I never liked TouchWiz. The experiences you have had with any Samsung device don't have to translate to a non-Samsung. I've heard great things about the Nexus line, looking at replacing the S4 with an N5 today actually, as it can do Sprint's Spark.

"Easy to handle/use , considering I am switching from an iPhone" - This is something *no one* can say for you. *I* personally don't find Android harder than iOS at all. I really find iOS a bit harder because I have to think the way Apple does for how to do things, and Android lets me do things in different ways. Now, a Nexus has no extra garbage on it, nor would a Google Play Edition S4 or Google Play Edition HTC One. They're 100% Android. I'd say if you can get to a store, and play with a Nexus, you'll be better able to make a choice. If by "social networking" you mean you're a Facebook junkie, there is Facebook Home. Which basically makes your phone 90% Facebook/Instagram, and 10% others (doesn't hide Email just puts FB up front). I wouldn't know how well it works as I haven't had a Facebook since 2011.

Use whichever you want. Just the "ease of use" is all up to you.

Edit: Don't mean this negatively the_tech_eater just that comment bugged me as an S4 is really different from vanilla Android, and (assuming female) she may hate Android, and she may love it, we don't know until she tries both.

But rooting a Samsung phone automatically voids your warranty, due to KNOX. Other than that, I agree with you sorta.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner