Hide characters when typing password?

I

iMore Question

Hello !

I cant find any option in my iPad Air where I would be able to turn off character showing during entering a password (for signing on to appstore or any other app). I cant believe that Apple, company that propagates security everywhere, forgot about this option!? Especially when you are sharing screen/streaming...

Anyone knows about some app that can disable it?

thanks for tips !

iPad noob

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure that as you are looking at signing in that a character does not turn into a dot much like other apps do that require a password essentially masking it? You may want to look because I believe it does. Also when you go into settings and go to the iTunes- App store and sign out This is when I believe when you try and sign back in it will mask your password, Try it.

Onkata

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
It changes to stars, but the letters are visible for a short period of time and that is a problem. How to change settings that it only shows stars and no characters at all?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
you can't. This is how it is designed so for a plit sec. you can see you are typing the correct Letters/Numbers and then it changes. As long as you are the only one seeing it, Where lies the problem?

Onkata

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
the problem is, if you are showing something to another person and you have to log in somewhere then there is this weird situation of turning back to him...for example.
Or if you are screencasting, then viewers can see your password you are typing in. ... I don't have experience from screencasting yet but I will have to do some sooner or later to my end users and from what I have seen as a viewer in other live screenscastings, the presenters had problem with this as well... the keyboard was not visible to us -> viewers but we saw the letters he/she typed in. If your screencasting involves a lot of logins then its really problem...its annoying to disconnect the device every 5 minutes from the screening and show users black screen while you are typing your psw...

solution proposal: simple button like "hide characters" or "show only stars" can solve this easily

or maybe there is some app that offers solution?

Ernest Yeap

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I also am having this problem. It is obviously not secure as others can spy/see wat u r doing n typing, hence they can obtain your password. I have written in to iphone two or three times so far but to no avail. Its common sense this shouldnt be the way. On android it gets masked instantly. This is a cruel world ppl r just hoping for something to happen.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
the problem is, if you are showing something to another person and you have to log in somewhere then there is this weird situation of turning back to him...for example.
Or if you are screencasting, then viewers can see your password you are typing in. ... I don't have experience from screencasting yet but I will have to do some sooner or later to my end users and from what I have seen as a viewer in other live screenscastings, the presenters had problem with this as well... the keyboard was not visible to us -> viewers but we saw the letters he/she typed in. If your screencasting involves a lot of logins then its really problem...its annoying to disconnect the device every 5 minutes from the screening and show users black screen while you are typing your psw...

solution proposal: simple button like "hide characters" or "show only stars" can solve this easily

or maybe there is some app that offers solution?

We use an iPad attached to a projector all the time, for demos and training. We simply turn off the projector. That easy.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I also am having this problem. It is obviously not secure as others can spy/see wat u r doing n typing, hence they can obtain your password. I have written in to iphone two or three times so far but to no avail. Its common sense this shouldnt be the way. On android it gets masked instantly. This is a cruel world ppl r just hoping for something to happen.

Really? You have someone looking over your shoulder all the time for the .5 second that the characters are on the screen? You do indeed live in a cruel world.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Also which Android masks instantly? Because even on my SGS5 work phone, the character appears just as on my personal Note 4.

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Does the iPad Air have KeyChain and TouchID?

If you used those you potentially wouldn't be typing passwords so much.

For screencasts, simply edit that part out before uploading. Or change your password temporarily. I do both of those things regularly. Just like turning off projector in live situation, there is usually a hot key to pause/un-pause the screen casting. That makes for less editing which is always good.

If they didn't briefly flash the last letter I can imagine that tons of people would screw up their logins every day and perhaps lock out their devices. Definitely not a flaw.

randally

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I use LastPass. It allows me to copy the password to the clipboard without showing it, and the I paste it, in its entirety, in the password field. Therefore it does not show any letters.
If you are screen-casting, it may be your best option.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If they didn't briefly flash the last letter I can imagine that tons of people would screw up their logins every day and perhaps lock out their devices. Definitely not a flaw.

Exactly. That is developing for percentage of the use case.
Most users don't cast. Enterprise does.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
And is easy/hard as it is for someone to peak over your shoulder or see the typing of a password in a movie or projector, they can also see the keys in the onscreen keyboard unless you use bluetooth. Not only can they see your fingers over the keys, the tapped key animates up even in pw fields. I wonder how Android shows this? Certainly the on screen keyboard is a dead giveaway to someone snooping.

That's why I use temporary passwords. Then it doesn't matter.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Just tried it on KitKat (VZW sucks for updates). The tapped key doesn't pop up as in ios but it highlights the key very nicely. Just as effective for a snooper. Guess Android isn't protecting you either.

Ernest Yeap

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Really? You have someone looking over your shoulder all the time for the .5 second that the characters are on the screen? You do indeed live in a cruel world.

U dont know anything about internet spying. They can watch u like watching tv n see whatever u r doing. If they r recording it they just have to keep rewinding to the part u r keying in your password. Get it!

Ernest Yeap

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site

Use your brains before u wanna reply!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Who, exactly, can see you type?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh