Hello all...any clues how to fix the following? Problem is: can't upload/transfer any photos OR vids from iPhone 5s to my new PC, wife's old laptop, or any other online storage site (Dropbox, etc....) without all the saved/filtered/edited photos and vids reverting to their original unedited state. For example, a black n' white pic on my phone will revert to a basic color pic once transferred, and a slow-mo vid once transferred will only play back at normal speed. I've tried basic reset, factory reset, and spent more than an hour on the phone with an apple service rep, who was willing to help but unable to offer any fix. And Apple won't replace my phone either...ha ha...
    Emailing the photos/vids does work, however that kinda defeats the whole purpose and besides the vids are all compressed so the quality is marginal doing it this way.
    Any ideas or suggestions you can throw my way, I'd be very grateful. thanks
    02-12-2014 08:59 PM
    I have no idea why that is happening to you. I just took a test photo with my iPhone 5, and then edited it via the camera app to change the exposure to mono and then saved it. Afterwards, I uploaded it to my Dropbox. The edited version is what appears when I view the photo via Dropbox. If you're using a third-party camera app or photo editing app, make sure the edited copy is going to your camera roll and not in a folder that the third party app creates within the app.
    02-12-2014 09:33 PM
    That happens for me as well. Emailing them is pretty much the only solution if you're using Windows.
    Last edited by rayz336; 02-13-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    02-12-2014 09:35 PM
    Unfortunately, this is considered a feature by Apple, and not a bug. The idea is that your edits are non-destructive, meaning that if you wanted to you could go back at any time and revert back to the original image. So any edits you make are really just part of the metadata and are not changing the image itself--just how it looks onscreen. I wrote about it here a while back. And while many Mac programs will display the filtered photo correctly, it will very often revert to the original image once you share it outside of the Apple ecosystem (for instance if you open an edited photo in Snapseed, it will use the original photo instead).

There are some workarounds, though.

The first and surest way to get around it is to simply not use the built in editing features of the Photos app. Instead, use a third party app like Snapseed or Aviary to edit and save your photos, then delete the original, unedited, version. To me, this is the best solution, and has the added advantage of giving you more control over the final image; Apple's built-in filters, while convenient, are fairly basic by comparison.

If you want to use the Photos app, try creating a shared photo stream, and use that to download your photos to your computer (instead of connecting the phone and transferring them that way). My memory is that transferring photos that way will retain any edits you made. Emailing also works, but is a ridiculous workaround if you take more than a handful of pictures a year.

Hope that helps!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    02-13-2014 08:49 AM
    thanks very much for the suggestions...interesting. This was never an issue with my iPhone4s though.
    I shall try your suggestion re the Shared Stream...
    Cheers
    02-17-2014 09:47 PM
    I still experience this on my 4s, especially with RED EYE fix. On my phone, red eye is gone, if I send through text to another iPhone, red eye remains gone. If I transfer to computer or email, red eye comes back.
    02-18-2014 11:49 AM