MBPr adding RAM... is it overkill or wise investment?

I

iMore Question

Upgrading my MacBook (2008) to a new MBPr (2014).... is increasing RAM from 4G to16G overkill or a wise investment? I tend to keep a laptop for 4 to 6 years. I use Adobe Lightroom 5 as my photo editing choice but do very little video editing; second question, can the SSD hard drive be reasonably replaced, cost wise, at some future time.
Thanks for any advice.
Larry

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would say buying a new 2014 and upgrading from 4 GB to 8 GB would not be and not that 16GB would as it would be in the eye of your wallet. :) If you are going to keep it that long with ever changing Ram and speeds I might up to only upgrade to 8GB right now. Again the ultimate decision is on you and what you are going to use it for.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This was the first item I looked at BEFORE I answered the OPs question and it seems to me unless of course I am reading it wrong all MBPr are upgradeable in RAM except for the last and most expensive which has onboard memory.

Capture.PNG

This is a sample of one I chose if you build in at Apple.com

Capture1.PNG

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I would also advise getting the 16GB. RAM is one of the things that affect performance directly. As some have already said since the RAM is soldered to the motherboard. It is best to get your best option now since upgrading down the road is not as viable an option as it use to be. Yes you should only do it if your wallet can take the hit. If you plan to keep the laptop for that period of time OSes and apps become more demanding. Also even though you might not do highly intensive things now don't limit yourself for the future.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well since i was trying to assist and I do not own a MBP I will defer the advice to the experts which I should have done since I don't as stated own a MBP. I was just using common sense. :) Good luck to both of you in your help.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Let me add another vote for 16GB. This is especially true of a machine that (1) you can’t upgrade after purchase and that (2) you plan to keep for a long while.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Now the OP has the experts advice and all he has to do is make up his mind what is good for his wallet. Thank you for the advice to the posters. :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Well since i was trying to assist and I do not own a MBP I will defer the advice to the experts which I should have done since I don't as stated own a MBP. I was just using common sense. :) Good luck to both of you in your help.

I think your advice was great. It added another perspective. A one sided argument doesn't help the OP see all the options.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods