iPhone 5c Low Quality Display

U

Unregistered

I've recently got an iPhone 5c and immediately noticed that the display on it is not as clear as the one on the 5 or 5S. I compared it to my 5 and can see a difference. I can sometimes see pixels on the 5c. It is really subtle but noticeable. This also happens to my sister's 5c as well. Did Apple make the displays on the 5c cheaper or is my device defective?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I believe the display on the 5C and the 5 and 5S are the same. It seems there is a difference in the aspect ratio on the 5C. I don't know if that's the difference. They look the same to me.
If you believe you have a defective display take it in to a Apple store if possible and compare and talk to a genius.

5S display specs
4 in (100 mm) diagonal
(9:16 aspect ratio),
multi-touch display,
LED backlit IPS TFT LCD,
640?1136 pixels at 326 ppi,
800:1 contrast ratio (typical),
500 cd/m2 max. brightness (typical), Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front

5C spec
4 in (100 mm) diagonal
(9:16 aspect ratio),
multi-touch display,
LED backlit IPS TFT LCD,
640?1136 pixels at 326 ppi,
500 cd/m2 max. brightness (typical), Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front

5 specs
4 in (100 mm) diagonal
(16:9 aspect ratio),
multi-touch display,
LED backlit IPS TFT LCD,
1,136?640 pixels at 326 ppi,

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed the 5c has a display that looks different from the 5. However, this is a placebo effect as I think a black and white 5s appear different from each other too. I'm thinking it's the color around the black face makes it appear that way. It's why I was unable to keep my S3. A white bezel makes colors appear washed out to me. Some people say the opposite is true. Two screens can be exactly the same but due to your eyes taking in the whole phone, they can easily appear slightly different.

I put on a full black case that covered the blue trim on my 5c, the colors became a tad more rich. Though I love that blue a bit too much to keep it hidden. 😍

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed the 5c has a display that looks different from the 5. However, this is a placebo effect as I think a black and white 5s appear different from each other too. I'm thinking it's the color around the black face makes it appear that way. It's why I was unable to keep my S3. A white bezel makes colors appear washed out to me. Some people say the opposite is true. Two screens can be exactly the same but due to your eyes taking in the whole phone, they can easily appear slightly different.

I put on a full black case that covered the blue trim on my 5c, the colors became a tad more rich. Though I love that blue a bit too much to keep it hidden. ��

Yes, I second that. There is a little difference in the displays of 5 and 5C.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've recently got an iPhone 5c and immediately noticed that the display on it is not as clear as the one on the 5 or 5S. I compared it to my 5 and can see a difference. I can sometimes see pixels on the 5c. It is really subtle but noticeable. This also happens to my sister's 5c as well. Did Apple make the displays on the 5c cheaper or is my device defective?
Maybe it is just your personal settings of that display such as brightness or contrast. I would check ALL of the settings that has to do with your display until you tune it in to look good to you.
As Ed has shown the displays are pretty well equal.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have my friend's iPhone 5, my other friend's 5c and my 5S sitting right next to each other on my desk...they look identical to each other (if you use the same background on each one). Zero difference in color, brightness or sharpness. I have the brightness setting at 100%, the same background on each one and honestly, i cannot see a different what so ever.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The main reason I suggested to the OP that they look at their settings of the screen and tweak them or set them i should say until they get what they thinks looks suitable to them. :) Thank you Sean.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I suggested to the OP that they look at their settings of the screen and tweak them or set them i should say until they get what they thinks looks suitable to them. :) Thank you Sean.

Interestingly enough, my wife thought she had a bad 5S when she got hers, because she kept looking at my screen and thinking it was more vibrant and clear compared to her own. Turns out she just had the brightness level about 75% of mine. When she turned her brightness all the way up (like I have mine at 100% of the time), she was happy again, lol!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Apple didn't make the display any cheaper than any other 5 series iPhone. If it bothers you that much, return it and get a replacement.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I can only say more of the same. I have a 5 and a 5C and they're both beautiful, sharp and rich in colour. Zero difference. You should take that phone to an Apple store if it's really discernible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice