Macbook Pro battery issues

I

iMore Question

I have a 15" unibody Macbook Pro and the battery shows "replace soon" when I check the status. That has been like that for over a year now. The laptop is 5 years old. The battery typically lasts only 20 minutes or so. I also getting some swelling from the battery which is deforming the battery cover. I also notice issues with the track pad sometimes when using the machine on my lap.

Do you recommend replacing the battery? I hear opinions either way. Some say to replace and some say that the replacement batteries do not last long. Thoughts? If replacing battery is suggested what battery do I buy? E.g. Apple, or third party manufacturer.

Thanks!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on your preference. This happened to my 2006 MacBook. I got a new battery from Apple and I bought a new MBP. I wanted to keep my old machine and wanted it to be usable but I also desired a new one. If you feel your current MBP suits your needs, then just replace the battery.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I recommend you replace your battery...soon.

Which battery should you buy? Whichever one your budget allows for. It's always best to have Apple replace it for you, but it can be expensive...3rd party components sometimes do not work as you would expect, so you take that gamble anytime you go with that equipment.

freeinc

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I am leaning towards a new battery from Apple. No reason to have them replace it, I am not that lazy. :) I was just wondering if there were alternatives to an Apple replacement that others have had good experiences with.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I am leaning towards a new battery from Apple. No reason to have them replace it, I am not that lazy. :) I was just wondering if there were alternatives to an Apple replacement that others have had good experiences with.

Good Luck and Welcome to iMore!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro