Senior decision to switch to MacPro laptop any suggestions

I

iMore Question

We are in our 60's and have a 5 y.o. HP desktop, I'm trying to decide whether to buy a MacPro laptop. I realize that Apple products are more expensive, but the fact that Apple appears to have excellent support is the biggest factor. I'm tired of trying to reach someone at HP or microsoft for help - I have visions of someone in India climbing up a pole to answer the telephone and I usually end up frustrated and no further ahead despite spending 2-3 hours on the telephone. Any suggestions as to which one I should purchase - it would be used for:

- searching websites
- answering emails
- Facebook
- Garmin (running) hook up
- photos
- typing agenda's and reports
We have no other Apple products, I do have an HP-Netbook that I use for travel.

Any suggestions, Thanks Karen

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore Karen. Any Mac laptop would be perfect for what you need to do and Apple support to #1 in my opinion.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
All of your needs should be easily met with a MacBook Air. Less expensive than the pros and lighter for travelling.
The one thing I would recommend checking out is that your Garmin is compatible with a Mac.
Garmin's website should be able to tell you.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Like others have suggested, the Macbook Pro might be a bit overkill for what you ask of a computer...the Macbook Air would save you money and will be more than sufficient.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Is have to agree with the MBA suggestion. And there is Mac software for the Garmin GPS units.

I, too, had visions of Microsoft support hanging off telephone poles a la Green Acres. And IMHO, HP computers haven't been worth the cost of the powder to blow them up ? haven't been for a number of years.

Good luck with your conversion to a real computer/operating system.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
We are in our 60's and have a 5 y.o. HP desktop, I'm trying to decide whether to buy a MacPro laptop. I realize that Apple products are more expensive, but the fact that Apple appears to have excellent support is the biggest factor. I'm tired of trying to reach someone at HP or microsoft for help - I have visions of someone in India climbing up a pole to answer the telephone and I usually end up frustrated and no further ahead despite spending 2-3 hours on the telephone. Any suggestions as to which one I should purchase - it would be used for:

- searching websites
- answering emails
- Facebook
- Garmin (running) hook up
- photos
- typing agenda's and reports
We have no other Apple products, I do have an HP-Netbook that I use for travel.

Any suggestions, Thanks Karen

Hi Karen! Welcome to iMore. If you have an Apple store near by plan a little trip there. You won't be disappointed. The amazing people at your local Apple store even have FREE classes you can take and if you would rather have a more individualized help you can even make an appointment for one on one help usually the same day.
You will be quite surprised at the age demographics you will find! You're going to have so much fun and help is just a fun apple store excursion away!! Let us know what you decide :)

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR