Help with choosing a plan/phone

I

iMore Question

Hi,
My contract with Rogers is up the beginning of March this year and I want to graduate to the iphone. I currently have a blackberry. I would really like a data plan with the phone but not sure which company to go with. I am retired so I don't need it for business. I make a lot of long distance calls in Canada to my friends and family so that is important. I have a cabin in Huntsville and want to make sure that I can use my phone there as well. Not sure if the koodos of the world would service my needs even as limited as they are.
Any suggestions and words of wisdom would be appreciated - this is not my strong suit.
Thank you.
CS

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If your current phone works in Huntsville (assuming Ontario), then a new one on Rogers would work as well. When you're dealing with cell companies in Ontario, there are generally 2 groups that share service areas. Rogers, Fido and Chatr are all on the same network, and Bell, Telus, Koodo, Virgin (and maybe others) are all on a different network. If someone can use a Bell phone at your cabin, then any Bell, Telus, Koodo or Virgin phone should also work.

If you've been a Rogers customer for a while, I'd recommend calling them first and seeing what they can offer you. Check what other providers offer and find something that seems suitable to you. Then call into Rogers and ask them to give you a similar deal, with some extra perks of course (otherwise what would be the point of staying with them?).

If you are going to call in and attempt this, I also recommend that you speak with the retention department. They tend to be able to offer better deals than the front line support people. To speak to retentions, you need to call into Rogers and tell them you want to cancel your cell plan. They will then transfer you to the "cancellation department" also known as retentions.

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If I may assume your cabin in Huntsville is in AL. I am jealous but having said that to call Canada it is going to cost anyway with your regular calling plan so shop the major big carriers especially AT&T and Verizon and ask them what you asked us and see what they have and how their coverage is in your area and calling Canada.:) Good luck and Welcome to iMore!

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
My contract with Rogers is up the beginning of March this year and I want to graduate to the iphone. I currently have a blackberry. I would really like a data plan with the phone but not sure which company to go with. I am retired so I don't need it for business. I make a lot of long distance calls in Canada to my friends and family so that is important. I have a cabin in Huntsville and want to make sure that I can use my phone there as well. Not sure if the koodos of the world would service my needs even as limited as they are.
Any suggestions and words of wisdom would be appreciated - this is not my strong suit.
Thank you.
CS

All Rogers, Bell & Telus plans are pretty much the same so coverage would be the only deciding factor there ;)

But you can call Rogers and see if they have any "loyalty" type plans.

Fido, koodo, virgin canada all have similar pricing but some offer higher data plans.

Most of the 2 year plans include unlimited nationwide calling.

But I would check the coverage for each carrier just to make sure you pick the correct carrier.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro