Download destination

I

iMore Question

When you are in a browser and hit a download link on some website, where does the file go? What are the rules? Sometimes it puts the file off into other apps, how does it decide which one?

--Milton--

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Apps need to register themselves to handle the particular file type. Some apps register to handle a couple of specific file types, while others register to handle a ton of different types. Documents on iOS are generally stored within the apps that are able to view/edit them, so that's the general rule with which app is used to download a file.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Can I ask what kind of file and why would you want or have the need to download a file to your iPhone and I am assuming you have an iPhone?

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
iOS does no have a file system. It's not like on a computer where there's folders or anything like that. Files are associated with apps. For example of you try to download a pdf it'll be associated with the pdf app you have installed or iBooks.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

milt95033

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
@mikeo007: Yes, it would make sense for downloaded files to go to apps that have registered for that file type. That can't be the whole rule however. For example, where does a file of an unregistered type go? Also, what happens when multiple apps are registered for the type of the downloaded file? Does the file get duplicated to all registrants, or is one picked by iOS somehow, or ( hope, hope) is there some way for me to control where it goes?

@jaguarr40: It's an iPad which I use for writing. I have need to download a fair number of web files.

@avmsam: iOS definitely does have a UNIX-based file system. Google "iOS file system" and you get lots of documentation. It's just that Apple tries to hide that fact in iOS for useabilty reasons.

I have one example where a downloaded document file wound up in a very wrong place. It looked like iOS decided to place it based on the non-extension part of the downloadedfile name, and thereby caused me some trouble to deal with it.

BTW, I'm new to this forum, but I think the search function here sucks hind tit. Lack of a good search caused me to double post this question. Ignore the other post.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
@mikeo007: Yes, it would make sense for downloaded files to go to apps that have registered for that file type. That can't be the whole rule however. For example, where does a file of an unregistered type go? Also, what happens when multiple apps are registered for the type of the downloaded file? Does the file get duplicated to all registrants, or is one picked by iOS somehow, or ( hope, hope) is there some way for me to control where it goes?

@jaguarr40: It's an iPad which I use for writing. I have need to download a fair number of web files.

@avmsam: iOS definitely does have a UNIX-based file system. Google "iOS file system" and you get lots of documentation. It's just that Apple tries to hide that fact in iOS for useabilty reasons.

I have one example where a downloaded document file wound up in a very wrong place. It looked like iOS decided to place it based on the non-extension part of the downloadedfile name, and thereby caused me some trouble to deal with it.

BTW, I'm new to this forum, but I think the search function here sucks hind tit. Lack of a good search caused me to double post this question. Ignore the other post.
First welcome to iMore and thank you for the constructive crtisism as we don't mind it. There is a link in the main forum to take a survey for 2014 that our Community Manager posted you might like to take which will help with what you are talking about with searching. I hope you are able to sort out your issue with the files on your iPad, Why not search iTunes to see if you can get help on apps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73