I am trying to find a way of stoping two works iphones from sending any text out. Is there away of blocking the use of text altogether?
    01-28-2014 03:59 AM
    I dont know if that's really possible. I'm gessing you just want to block the ability to send messages (not the ability to make/receive calls). Do you also want to block the ability to receive them. I think you'd have better luck talking to your carrier (Verizon, AT&T, etc) to turn off messaging, and to make sure you dont get charged per-message-charges, maybe they can make sure that an attempt to send a message is not going to be successful (or the other party will not receive the text message). The problem here, though, you dont need a carrier to send messages on iPhone - we have iMessage that will use internet to send it - but you can turn off iMessage though.

If it is really a very important deal - maybe jailbraking has a solution.

I hope I'm missing a setting (for the sake of your need), and someone does know if there's a setting to do exactly what you need.. Good luck
    01-28-2014 04:39 AM
    You also need to consider that even if you do succeed to block iPhone text messaging, there are hundreds of apps that are designed to give alternative methods to text messaging. Having a smartphone today is kind of inherent that it will enable a user to text-message. It's like asking to make your car headlights not work on purpose.
    01-28-2014 04:44 AM
    Thanks for the info.
    01-28-2014 06:51 AM
    I am not quite sure what you really mean as the only way to send texts is if toy are physically sending them in which case just stop sending them. If there is something else or reason please explain further.
    01-28-2014 08:19 AM
    You may be able to stop text messages by going to settings & placing restrictions on the phone
    01-28-2014 10:57 AM
    When I want to block texts from unsolicited / unwanted individuals, I go to the text message, then click on contacts, then click on the circled i, scroll down and click on block this caller. So far it works great. You just have to make sure you don't want to have that number contacting you again. Btw, I have a 5s on Verizon.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    01-28-2014 11:11 AM
    The employees are taking advantage of the work phones, mostly with text.

So I want to be able to take away that text facility

Simples
    01-28-2014 11:32 AM
    1. For actual text messages (SMS) your only choice is to contact the carrier to unprovision SMS from the account.
    2. For iMessages you can turn it off in Settings and turn on restrictions so that they can't turn it back on.
    3. For apps which allow texting such as What's App?, BBM, etc, you can turn on restrictions and restrict them from downloading any apps and delete them from the phone if they already have them.
    01-28-2014 11:38 AM
    The employees are taking advantage of the work phones, mostly with text.

So I want to be able to take away that text facility

Simples
    Welcome to iMore.
    01-28-2014 12:05 PM
    When I want to block texts from unsolicited / unwanted individuals, I go to the text message, then click on contacts, then click on the circled i, scroll down and click on block this caller. So far it works great. You just have to make sure you don't want to have that number contacting you again. Btw, I have a 5s on Verizon.

I can tell you this on the matter you mentioned. These are a special group of text messages that companies do at random and you will pay dearly for them at the end of the month by Verizon who I have as well. Call Verizon and tell them you want to block these calls and they will know what you mean and the service is free.
    01-28-2014 12:40 PM
    I was referring more to the occasional irritating texts from someone I no longer want to deal with. For the the worse ones, especially spam / sales ones, I also call Verizon to get them blocked.

01-28-2014 12:49 PM
    I was referring more to the occasional irritating texts from someone I no longer want to deal with. For the the worse ones, especially spam / sales ones, I also call Verizon to get them blocked.

Go to settings and then tap on the Messages. You should be able to block people from there.
    01-28-2014 03:30 PM

Ok that is cool, Just wanted to let you know and now you also know how to block the unwanted ones as well.
    01-28-2014 04:05 PM