MacBook Pro vs iMac? (A Thunderbolt dilema)

djmattyt

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello!
Pending my tax return, I'm going to put some money towards a new Mac. I have a Early 2008 MBP right now that I just upgraded with a 500 GB SSD which has made leaps in performance.

I am considering getting an iMac with an external monitor, but it sort of bothers me they don't come with Thunderbolt 2 yet. I would really like to have the most up to date hardware. So I guess my questions are: Should I spend the extra $$ for the MBP? Performance wise, is the iMac generally going to be better? If I decided to go with an 4K monitor, does the iMac support that?

Thanks in advance!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, the only thing you really need to concern yourself with between the two is whether you want to have a portable notebook or a stationary desktop.

As far as I know, none of the iMac's are 4K (since the iMac is the system built into the screen itself)...and because of this, I doubt they have 4K compatibility either (since the screen itself would probably BE 4K if it was). Mac Pro's are 4K compatible, but that's a whole other league of system.

Performance wise, the iMac's have negligibly better specs than the MBP's for the same price. You won't see a difference really though in any real world usage aspect.

And as far as thunderbolt 2 goes, it really just comes down to what you intend to use it for. Considering there aren't really many accessories that actually use the technology aside from some lacie hard drives and a small handful of others...I wouldn't hold out too much over that.

djmattyt

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input Sean!

I was leaning towards the iMac, the SSD in the 2008 MBP makes it usable enough for when I do need a portable. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking some obvious benefit to having a new MBP. Thanks again!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73