I'm going to story tell a bit so it's not just a "what's your preference" kinda thread. Hopefully it not only gets me the answer I want, but helps others in a similar situation since I have extensive experience with the full sized ipad and mini.

Three years ago before the birth of my son I got an ipad 2. Loved it. It's came in handy for me numerous times over the years.

Recently I got my wife the ipad mini with retina and it's awesome. I heard complaints about color and screen but I don't see it. It's the perfect size with trade off for mobility and performance blows my ipad 2 out of the water.

But now my son is hijacking my ipad, my wife has her mini, and I'm left contemplating what should be my next device: the air or a second mini?

I've played with both and it only makes my decision harder. Here are my main 3 thoughts on the situation:

-I spend a lot of time at home, but appreciate mobility when out because we have to take a lot of crap with us. In all honesty, the mini is just flat out more convenient to carry and hold. Like a 14" laptop vs a 17" laptop. However, I typically just throw it under the stroller so it's not a huge benefit of convenience.

-I like the size of the mini side by side with my ipad - it's nicer and more comfortable in hand - but have a hard time telling if I'm bias because the quality of the retina screen, the ipad2 is bulky (especially with a case), and the performance. So I'm not sure if I actually like the mini or just the superior device. My test involved a series of board games. I appreciated the big enough but crisp picture on the mini, but couldn't help wondering how it would compare if I had the same quality picture on the ipad. And if it would be more comfortable in my hand if the ipad was more slim.

-The last point is that we already have a mini. It's my wife's, but I can use it time to time. It will just be in a pink case and loaded with her apps. But in a pinch I suppose I could use it? Maybe throw a folder on there with my stuff.

So in conclusion, I prefer the mini but can't but feel like the air would be the better choice. It's a matter of logic vs my preference in tactile experience. Thoughts?
    01-23-2014 01:46 PM
    Go with your preference.
    01-23-2014 01:51 PM
    Your "preference", in my opinion, is the logical choice. You're more likely to enjoy something you prefer than something you do not.
    01-23-2014 01:53 PM
    Thanks for the reassurance. Do you think my preference might be bias though because I'm used to the ipad2? And that the ipad2 may not represent well in place of the ipad air?
    01-23-2014 02:04 PM
    The Retina Mini.
    01-23-2014 02:07 PM
    The retina mini is my size preference...but the Air had SIGNIFICANT audio improvements over the mini (retina or not), and that benefit almost made me stick with the Air. Unfortunately, because me and my wife take our iPad's almost every where we go, the mini-R presents a more convenient portability, so we both went with it.
    01-23-2014 02:11 PM
    Thanks for the reassurance. Do you think my preference might be bias though because I'm used to the ipad2? And that the ipad2 may not represent well in place of the ipad air?
    It doesn't matter what we think. You're the one who will be using the device. Make a decision and then stick with it....
    kch50428 and iOS Gravity like this.
    01-23-2014 02:28 PM
    The rMini was my personal choice but as everyone here has said and my post really does not help, Make a choice and don't look back,
    01-23-2014 03:42 PM
    I have air and my son mini for the past 2 months i handle both of them and i can tell you for 100%sure that my personal choice is the Air and nothing but AIR AIR AIR 😜
    GOOD LUCK W YOUT CHOICE ..

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    01-23-2014 04:13 PM
    I will just give you all the details. They both have the same internals although the battery on the Air is bigger, so performance isn't really an issue. The Air is bigger than the mini so you will have to choose which size you prefer. The mini weighs 3/4's of a pound while the Air is one pound. It just depends on your preference.
    01-23-2014 05:49 PM
    I will just give you all the details. They both have the same internals although the battery on the Air is bigger, so performance isn't really an issue. The Air is bigger than the mini so you will have to choose which size you prefer. The mini weighs 3/4's of a pound while the Air is one pound. It just depends on your preference.
    The speakers are not the same on the Mini vs. the Air. There is no way possible the sound difference is caused by chassis design...
    01-23-2014 07:10 PM
    The speakers are not the same on the Mini vs. the Air. There is no way possible the sound difference is caused by chassis design...
    My bad. I forgot to add that, but you already mentioned it before.
    01-23-2014 07:55 PM
    I have both - the Air for work and the rMini for personal. I have equal access to both. I always go for the rMini when I am at home. My job requires me to be away from my desk but in constant contact with project resources (via email and text). I also need continuous access to the web and to documents and notes. If my employer hadn't bought me the Air I would use the rMini for work as well. Really love the Air but really, really love the rMini. But like the others said... Choose the one you prefer. Both are fantastic.
    01-24-2014 08:29 AM
    I have had both Mini iterations and much prefer the size/form factor. The retina screen, at least to me, is beautiful and issue-free. My wife has the Air, and she loves her iPad as much as I love my Mini.

The form factors are extremely similar, with the Mini, obviously, being smaller. But the form factor, meaning the relative dimensions, size of the bezel, etc, are the same. Both are narrower physically than the original iPad, as well as gens 2,3,4.

As far as portability goes, the Mini does not provide much more convenience over the Air if you're gonna toss it in a bag or in a stroller. It will become more of a factor if you are just holding it, or carrying it in your hand, IMHO.

Go to an Apple store or Best Buy and play with both models..
    Last edited by Fausty82; 01-24-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    01-24-2014 09:42 AM
    I have had both Mini iterations and much prefer the size/form factor. The retina screen, at least to me, is beautiful and issue-free. My wife has the Air, and she loves her iPad as much as I love my Mini.

The form factors are extremely similar, with the Mini, obviously, being smaller. But the form factor, meaning the relative dimensions, size of the bezel, etc, are the same. Both are narrower physically than the original ad, as well as gens 2,3,4.

As far as portability goes, the Mini does not provide much more convenience over the Air if you're gonna toss it in a bag or in a stroller. It will become more of a factor if you are just holding it, or carrying it in your hand, IMHO.

Go to an Apple store or Best Buy and play with both models..
    I agree. The size of the mini is perfect.
    01-24-2014 01:24 PM