My son ran his phone through a front-loading washing machine. Now it does not work. (we are still working on that responsibility thing in life. he will be paying replacement cost with his own money. he has a part-time job while being a high school student.) I have tried the phone in a zip-lock bag of rice thing to dry it out and letting the phone dry out for several days before attempting to power up or charge. Bottom line is it is a dead paperweight that is perfectly clean on the outside with broken parts on the inside. It is deader than a doorknob!

He got the phone as a Christmas as a present from Mom and Dad. It has not yet been 90 days since we purchased the phone but I am not going to take it back to Verizon and lie that it simply stopped working. That is wrong and we know this much. Besides, what kind of lesson would I be teaching my son?

Anyway, does someone have advice on how to proceed with a replacement and what the cost will be? Thanks for responding to my tale of woe.

PS - We love the website.
    01-20-2014 12:09 PM
    If you don't have insurance on it, the cost should be the same as buying the device on-contract -- between $149 and $199, if I'm not mistaken.

Update: I'm sorry. My mind was on a shattered retina display whereas you need a replacement device. Without insurance, it should cost you the full price of the device, however, Apple has been known to be quite merciful so just explain your situation to them and see what they say.
    01-20-2014 12:12 PM
    Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to "lie" through this one (even if you wanted to) because it would be very obvious that the water damage indicators would have been triggered in such a case. Any place you returned it to would understand what was going on with the device within a few seconds of checking it.

Replacement cost would be full retail...staring at $549 for a 16GB/$649 for a 32GB. These are the only options you have if you do not have an upgrade available on your family plan that you can use for it.

In the future, just as a bit of advice, if you're going to get such a device for someone still "working on the responsibility thing in life", the insurance and/or Apple Care + plans are an almost necessity and should probably be considered. Anything can happen to any of us, but if I had a kid who got an iPhone, there'd be no way it wouldn't have one of those plans with it.

Good luck!
    Just_Me_D and EmceeGeek like this.
    01-20-2014 12:13 PM
    If you don't have insurance on it, the cost should be the same as buying the device on-contract -- between $149 and $199, if I'm not mistaken.
    No, it would be OFF-contract pricing... aka full retail if there's no insurance...
    01-20-2014 12:16 PM
    No, it would be OFF-contract pricing... aka full retail if there's no insurance...
    Yeah, I caught my mistake after I initially replied, and have since made the correction. Thanks
    01-20-2014 12:17 PM
    Verizon just changed their plans you can now get one on the edge program and pay monthly but you have to meet the criteria.
    01-20-2014 02:04 PM
    Sorry to hear this

Being responsible for an expensive device is something your child must learn don't let him get off easy

My opinion only

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    nikkisharif likes this.
    01-20-2014 02:51 PM
    I say go to the Apple Store and see how much the replacement would be. I had to take my son's 5 in the other day because the screen & power button were broken and I wasn't sure if it was still covered. It ended up not being covered but they offered to just replace the device for $260 which wasn't bad. I didn't do it because I had insurance but if I didn't I would of taken it. You never know what you can get unless you go to the store. The worse they could say is you have to pay full price. Good Luck
    01-21-2014 01:09 AM
    Best thing to do is do what Nikki said and take it to Apple to see how much it'll cost to get a replacement. Lifeproof case is a kids best friend.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5s
    01-21-2014 01:37 AM