Dockable
Bluetooth connectivity
Non-portable

Anyone have any suggestions out there?

Thanks!

scmcc16

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Why not build a system with these functions? My home theater features all of those things within the setup.

Umm... I totally get your point but it's not meant to be a home theater. I need it for a complete seperate area. Long story explaination.

BOSE makes a very nice Bluetooth Speaker docking station

I've looked at the website and couldn't find one with both BT and a dock. It seemed to be one or the other. Do you know a model number?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Umm... I totally get your point but it's not meant to be a home theater. I need it for a complete seperate area. Long story explaination.

These kinds of systems are not specifically for home theater (though that is typically the duty they pull)...I know several people who use pieced systems and stand alone receivers for studio use, music specific applications, outdoor setups, etc. Home theater is just where you normally see the setups, so I figured using that example would help with clarity.

If that isn't what you're looking for though, perhaps being a little more specific with your requirements would be helpful.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Bose is blah, and people who know Audio would not recommend. If you are looking at one of the portable ones, stay away from jambox and beats pill too, they are actually on terms of sound the least desirable, these all sound good, until you put them next to other portables, check out TDK A33 also a Bang & Olufsen.

If you want something that supports best sound look for device that does airplay, although Bluetooth is universal sound quality is limited compared to airplay. Or even better yet plug it directly to your 5s with 3.5m jack that would be best sound.

scmcc16

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If that isn't what you're looking for though, perhaps being a little more specific with your requirements would be helpful.

I want to buy this for my wife who is currently living away for school. She enjoys listening to her music from her phone but doesn't have a speaker system anymore since she upgraded from 4S to 5S. So I want it to have BT so she can have her phone with her while listening, as well as a docking station so that she can charge her phone while listening when required. The Bose system which does this is $650 which I'm just not ready to paid for. Although unlike acadia11, I find the sound quite good.

Bose is blah, and people who know Audio would not recommend. If you are looking at one of the portable ones, stay away from jambox and beats pill too, they are actually on terms of sound the least desirable, these all sound good, until you put them next to other portables, check out TDK A33 also a Bang & Olufsen.

If you want something that supports best sound look for device that does airplay, although Bluetooth is universal sound quality is limited compared to airplay. Or even better yet plug it directly to your 5s with 3.5m jack that would be best sound.

I note looking for a portable, something which plugs into the wall. Nor do I want to be messing around with cables.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

This comment that I bolded is absolutely hilarious to me...what on earth are you going on about? "Least desirable" in terms of sound? LOLOLOLOL! I probably keep up with home theater and audio equipment more than Apple stuff, and at no point has Bose been "least desirable"...overpriced? Yeah, at times...but they have quality equipment and sound stage setups that are very HIGHLY desirable, especially in small spaces.

And going off the subject, but having owned about a dozen different headphones over the last 10 years, my Bose quiet comfort NC's are easily in the top 3 (and my personal favorite for comfort in use, especially on planes).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I want to buy this for my wife who is currently living away for school. She enjoys listening to her music from her phone but doesn't have a speaker system anymore since she upgraded from 4S to 5S. So I want it to have BT so she can have her phone with her while listening, as well as a docking station so that she can charge her phone while listening when required. The Bose system which does this is $650 which I'm just not ready to paid for. Although unlike acadia11, I find the sound quite good.

Understood, and that gives a better idea for your budget as well, since most good pieced systems are going to cost more than that for the receiver alone. I guess the next logical question is what is your top dollar, so we can eliminate the need to suggest a bunch of stuff you wouldn't be in the market for anyways.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Since sound is a matter of personal taste , if you find Bose to be high quality so be it, I'm not going to tell you anything different.

As for headphones , again, really sennheiser along with many other manufacturers make much better headphones. I think beats are even better than the Bose headphones, I liked the QC2s better than the QC3s anyway. I prefer in-ear monitors for travel I don't want the big over the ear thing, shure se535s are my monitor of choice, but they set you back 550 a piece, the se840s are $1000 and awesome , but many manufacturers of pick over Bose , Westone, sennheiser, UMs for in ear as well.

Either case, Bose makes a nice package, their trick though is to make the sound dynamic by basically making the lows louder and the highs louder, which is why the sound is muddy when you add more power... Also why the sound you think is better in small rooms , short of it this isn't quality sound IMHO. But I digress as stated if you like their sound that much get something from them and remove a required feature. I was just giving you my personal recommendation.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Since sound is a matter of personal taste , if you find Bose to be high quality so be it, I'm not going to tell you anything different.

As for headphones , again, really sennheiser along with many other manufacturers make much better headphones. I think beats are even better than the Bose headphones, I liked the QC2s better than the QC3s anyway. I prefer in-ear monitors for travel I don't want the big over the ear thing, shure se535s are my monitor of choice, but they set you back 550 a piece, the se840s are $1000 and awesome , but many manufacturers of pick over Bose , Westone, sennheiser, UMs for in ear as well.

Either case, Bose makes a nice package, their trick though is to make the sound dynamic by basically making the lows louder and the highs louder, which is why the sound is muddy when you add more power... Also why the sound you think is better in small rooms , short of it this isn't quality sound IMHO. But I digress as stated if you like their sound that much get something from them and remove a required feature. I was just giving you my personal recommendation.

You were also putting a blanket statement on the product which was untrue. You can't compare $1,000 headphones to $200 headphones...it's asinine to think that a person would legitimately put the two objects in the same consideration, it'd be like being critical of a Civic when in the market for a 5 series...just doesn't make sense. Like I said, there are plenty of better products out there in almost every field of audio...but for the money, Bose ranks highly anytime I read a review, so I purchased a product from them, and have been fully satisfied for the cost.

I don't use in ear headphones so I won't even speak on those...but I've done Sennheiser (still have a computer speaker setup from them)...my point was that regardless of opinion, putting false information out there is dumb.

scmcc16

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
1) Guys if you wish to have a debate please don't have it on my thread.

2) Dollar range $300ish max.

3) I've looked around for systems with the specs I'm looking for and couldn't find any. Hence why I'm here asking for help.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
1) Guys if you wish to have a debate please don't have it on my thread.

2) Dollar range $300ish max.

3) I've looked around for systems with the specs I'm looking for and couldn't find any. Hence why I'm here asking for help.

The debate was relevant (albeit a bit pointless), so there was no fault in having it here. For $300, you've pretty much limited yourself to the portable systems you said you didn't want, so you may have to compromise or come up in budget. Most of what you'll find in that range with the features you want are pretty much glorified alarm clocks...I think Bluewave may make a system without the front facing clock but it's essentially the same unit (but with all the features you asked for).

Also, just curious if you've looked at the Bose Soundlink? It's only $199.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm a big sound guy and I personally recommend Bose for your sound system. I've never had issues with them and the sound quality is outstanding. The only issue you would run into is the dock and Bluetooth; You can choose either one or the other. Unless you want to throw down thousands that's what I recommend

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The reason I didn't originally comment when I saw this question is because I know exactly what you're looking for and so far I haven't seen any made (yet). Of course they're all still for the 30 pin.

I thought maybe someone else could help you but it seems the point and purpose was missed here. I'll keep searching around for you.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

scmcc16

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The reason I didn't originally comment when I saw this question is because I know exactly what you're looking for and so far I haven't seen any made (yet). Of course they're all still for the 30 pin.

I thought maybe someone else could help you but it seems the point and purpose was missed here. I'll keep searching around for you.

I don't understand what's taking so long... It's not like that the lightning connector is that new. Anyways, I've seem to have found one at a decent price. It's the JBL Onbeat Venue. Online reviews seem to be good.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand what's taking so long... It's not like that the lightning connector is that new. Anyways, I've seem to have found one at a decent price. It's the JBL Onbeat Venue. Online reviews seem to be good.

Those are my exact thoughts too. I have a JBL now that I bought a few years ago for my iPhone and iPod and it's still in great shape. If it's still made the same you'll have that one for a few years too.

There are adaptors available if you are finding other 30-pin connector type setups that you fancy more than that JBL thing.

I've had to resort to this with my speaker but I keep it in my bathroom so my iPod is in there more than my phone. Lol

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2