Upgrading an I-phone 4 to 5.1.1 but not going all the way to 7, possible?

I

iMore Question

So here's the deal. I bought a phillips wake up light for my wife. She has an Iphone 4 and has never updated it. She doesn't want to update to 7.0 and I don't blame her, so I'm just trying to update it to 5.1.1 and leave it at that so it will be compatible with the light. Is this possible? If so how is the easiest way, I'd rather not jailbreak it or anything really complicated but I feel like that's what is going to happen...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No. If you try to update it, it is going to update to the latest iOS version that works on the iPhone 4 and that's iOS 7. Jailbreaking, of which I'm ignorant of, will probably be your best option unless you have the latest wake-up light App version that possibly supports iOS 7.

Chargehammer

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
So here's the deal. I bought a phillips wake up light for my wife. She has an Iphone 4 and has never updated it. She doesn't want to update to 7.0 and I don't blame her, so I'm just trying to update it to 5.1.1 and leave it at that so it will be compatible with the light. Is this possible? If so how is the easiest way, I'd rather not jailbreak it or anything really complicated but I feel like that's what is going to happen...

You don't necessarily have to jailbreak an iDevice to protect which firmware you would like to be on. You can use iFaith or TinyUmbrella to preserve certain firmware SHSH blobs/aptickets and allow you to restore to a "signed" firmware at any time with the iPhone 4.

Now the downside in this situation is if you haven't done this yet, you won't be able to update to anything that isn't currently being signed by Apple. Sorry.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen