Hi guys,
    I'm planning to buy a used AT&T iPhone 5S. The guy who is going to sell it to me says he's using a Gevey card (I suspect it's probably an R-SIM) to use it with a different carrier. I will use the phone down in Mexico with Telcel, and he says it should work perfectly. Should I expect any problems? Am I going to be able to actvate the phone even though I don't have an AT&T account? I've seen posts and videos regarding the R-SIMs and I know they seem to work, but I don't want to run into any surprises, like not being able to activate it, etc.
    I don't know a thing about iPhones, so I hope you can help me.
    Thanks!
    12-31-2013 12:03 AM
    Hello and welcome to iMore! When it comes to R-SIM's it really can be a mixed bag. There are many posts out there stating that people have been having problems with R-SIM's functioning correctly. IMO you would be better off looking for a unlocked device to take with you to Mexico.
    12-31-2013 01:23 AM
    Hello and welcome to iMore! When it comes to R-SIM's it really can be a mixed bag. There are many posts out there stating that people have been having problems with R-SIM's functioning correctly. IMO you would be better off looking for a unlocked device to take with you to Mexico.
    But should I be able to activate it providing I get signal and data?
    12-31-2013 02:20 AM
    Are you completely positive that this person is actually using a gevey sim? I've heard of a problem with them.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S
    01-01-2014 07:19 PM