Funny story/somewhat of a question

Chargehammer

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
So my girlfriend's iPhone 4S is with Sprint. It's been hacked to all hell and back and has been running with no issues since we hooked up. It's on iOS 5.1.1.

So just the other day, the data went out on it and it's basically a glorified iPod with talk/text (no web unless on wifi). I've tried the turning on/off Airplane mode off and it doesn't reactivate the data. She even called Sprint and they said the data should be working as it's on her plan. So against my better judgement and prior to being able to clean it up, she takes it to the Sprint store and of course they look at it and say, "we can't touch this since additional software has been ran on it".

Before running a full restore to a 5.1.1 firmware, has anyone else had this issue with a jailbroken Sprint iPhone? Reason I ask is because they told her that "especially with OUR iPhones, jailbreaking will break the device". While this sounds like complete BS, I don't know if there is any validity to this as I've always had AT&T and AT&T iPhones.

Last edited:

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
All apple and retailers will tell you the same thing if u bring in a jailbroken device. Which is why you should always restore if taking it in for any repair work. Have you tried resetting the network settings to see if that helps? Maybe something was installed that conflicts and causing the issue. Could be a lot of different things.

Chargehammer

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
No go on the reset network settings. Even had her do a hard reset after to make sure.

I remember something about if you toggle 3G on Sprint and Verizon iPhones that it will break the code programmed for the antenna and will not be able to reconnect to their network. Something about this option only successfully working on GSM iPhones and not CDMA ones. I disabled this toggle in SBSettings when I set it up knowing this so I don't think this is what happened. Guess it's restore fun tonight when I get home. Woohoo!

Chargehammer

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
If u must restore and want to keep the jailbreak and current iOS use iLex-rat. Super quick and easy. GL

To be honest, I don't think she uses any of the jailbreak tweaks other than BiteSMS. I have all the SHSH blobs and aptickets saved via TinyUmbrella. I should be able to build a firmware using Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze. Just been a while.

Chargehammer

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Why go thru the hassle when u can simply click a button and done!? To each is own. GL tho

This doesn't seem to "restore" the device. It just seems to get rid of all Cydia related items. I don't really think it's jailbreak related. I'll give it a shot though and report back. Cheers for the reference though as I've never heard of it before. I knew there was something Mac related like it (semi-restore) but I don't have a Mac.

Chargehammer

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
So here is the outcome:

I tried iLex-Rat and this did exactly as I thought. It restored the iPhone back to "out-of-the-box" state + jailbroken but didn't fix the data connection issue.

I then tried Redsn0w and Sn0wbreeze and wasn't able to get them to work to restoring to 5.1.1.

I then tried to just update via iTunes (no DFU) and it said the latest firmware it was going to restore it to was 6.1.3 so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Of course this didn't work. It downloaded and the second it was done extracting and tried to verify it with Apple it gave the infamous "not eligible for this build" error.

So because iTunes only recognized 6.1.3 as the latest firmware, I downloaded 7.0.4 from iClarified and updated to this in DFU mode (was required).

This corrected the data break and am pretty sure something happened with the disabling of 3G on the device which is what caused that break in code. The phone is now at stock 7.0.4 and running like it did the day she got it.

Also, like the moron I am, found out the reason it said 6.1.3 was the latest firmware was because I didn't have the latest version of iTunes installed. So basically I freshened up on some stuff and she got a crash course in the joys of restoring and updating and jailbreaking. What a fun (frustrating) night.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
So here is the outcome:

I tried iLex-Rat and this did exactly as I thought. It restored the iPhone back to "out-of-the-box" state + jailbroken but didn't fix the data connection issue.

I then tried Redsn0w and Sn0wbreeze and wasn't able to get them to work to restoring to 5.1.1.

I then tried to just update via iTunes (no DFU) and it said the latest firmware it was going to restore it to was 6.1.3 so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Of course this didn't work. It downloaded and the second it was done extracting and tried to verify it with Apple it gave the infamous "not eligible for this build" error.

So because iTunes only recognized 6.1.3 as the latest firmware, I downloaded 7.0.4 from iClarified and updated to this in DFU mode (was required).

This corrected the data break and am pretty sure something happened with the disabling of 3G on the device which is what caused that break in code. The phone is now at stock 7.0.4 and running like it did the day she got it.

Also, like the moron I am, found out the reason it said 6.1.3 was the latest firmware was because I didn't have the latest version of iTunes installed. So basically I freshened up on some stuff and she got a crash course in the joys of restoring and updating and jailbreaking. What a fun (frustrating) night.

Glad you were able to get it resolved.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Great! Glad you found a fix. She should be able to jailbreak again if she wants to.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2