jailbroken iphone 4 will not boot after update

I

iMore Question

Hi,

my son had a second hand phone for Christmas which was jailbroken to version 5.somehting. he tried to perform an update on the phone and it rebooted. since then we cannot get the phone to come on. we either get the apple logo or the plug into iTunes logo (restore mode I think)

I have tried the following:
- iTunes shift restore to restore different IPSW files but some fail straight away and some fail half way through
- Redsn0w jailbreak which seems to work ok but then lots of files appear on the iphone but then errors and just sits there.
- sn0breeze creates the IPSW file and says it's on the desktop but it isn't and I can't find it anywhere.

can anyone else suggest a fix?

much appreciated

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore,

I would recommend putting your iPhone in DFU mode and doing a full restore. Unfortunately Jailbroken devices can have serious issues when applying OTA updates. The good news is that there is a jailbreak for iOS 7 (Which is what will be on your Son's phone after full restore)

frustrated T

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi and thanks for your response.

I can put the phone into DFU mode however how do I do a full restore. when I try through iTunes I get the following error:

the iphone cannot be restored an unknown error occurred (3194)

regards Tony