My 1st gen 32gb iPad mini with VZN radio was working great right up to last week. Now, for no apparent reason, the iPad goes nuts and starts zooming in and out, opening and closing apps and switching between apps all on its own. Anyone else experience this?
    12-16-2013 06:35 PM
    Have you rebooted it? Try that... and if the issue continues, a visit to an Apple Genius bar is in order
    12-16-2013 06:40 PM
    Yes, I have rebooted it. I figure the first thing they will want to is restore to a new device so I'll be doing that when I get home next week. (I'm a truck driver.) Then I will schedule that Genius Bar appointment.
    Just_Me_D and iOS Gravity like this.
    12-16-2013 06:43 PM
    The only thing this reminds me of is water/moisture damage of some kind...if you can rule that out 100%, a restore or replacement are the only things I could suggest.
    12-16-2013 08:12 PM
    The only thing this reminds me of is water/moisture damage of some kind...if you can rule that out 100%, a restore or replacement are the only things I could suggest.
    Yeah. Isn't there some sort of moisture detection material that Apple placed in the headphone jack?
    12-16-2013 08:20 PM
    It has not been in contact with any liquid.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk so, please, forgive the typos!
    12-16-2013 08:45 PM
    What about Heavy Humidity? I just have to ask to eliminate reasons why this is happening. Did you accidently drop it? Hope everything works out with it. And keep on Truckin'!
    12-17-2013 12:12 PM
    Define "heavy humidity". I live in the south where humidity is part of every day life!

12-17-2013 12:17 PM
    At your earliest convenience, put the device in DFU mode and then restore it via iTunes. Of course, create a backup beforehand. Yet, I would set it up as new in case a corrupted setting of some sort is to blame. If it displays the symptoms you mentioned in your initial post after restoring it, definitely take it to a nearby Apple Store.
    12-17-2013 12:24 PM
    Being near a tesla coil could cause strange things to happen also. But it's unlikely that you are near one.
    12-17-2013 03:24 PM
    At your earliest convenience, put the device in DFU mode and then restore it via iTunes. Of course, create a backup beforehand. Yet, I would set it up as new in case a corrupted setting of some sort is to blame. If it displays the symptoms you mentioned in your initial post after restoring it, definitely take it to a nearby Apple Store.
    That is exactly what I'll be doing when I get home. I've been to the Genius Bar enough to know that is one of the first things they ask if you've done. I might as well get past that step before making the appointment. Hopefully that solves my problem and I won't have to go to the Genius Bar.

Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-21-2013 04:49 PM
    UPDATE

When the restore to new device option failed, I did end up keeping that Genius Bar appointment. Here's what happened.

When I removed the iPad mini from its case, the Genius noticed the aluminum frame was warped! Evidently one of my kids was mishandling it when I let him/her use it.

Despite my iPad mini having suffered "owner damage", he replaced it, no charge, even after seeing the damage. I fully expected to have to pay the $49 deductible on my AppleCare+ policy but they really took care of me today. My love for Apple grows deeper.

And all games my kids liked to play on it have been removed and I have invoked a "no user under the age of 20" policy for the replacement.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-01-2014 06:50 PM